Cooling fan removal

swapper 08:28 04 Jan 09

Hello,

I have a noisy fan in my PC and thought that I would renew it.

But I just cannot see how to remove it.

It has a label on the side - Artic Cooling Switzerland- Patent no. 20337981.7, I cannot see anything else.

Its approx. 90mm across and on the outside of each corner has a square tab, just asking to be depressed to enable remove?

there are no visible screws to remove.

I'm reluctant to put to much pressure on these in case I damage the mother board.

Any suggestions please?

muddypaws 09:26 04 Jan 09

Have you tried their web site. click here
Might be able to help.

oldbeefer2 09:32 04 Jan 09

Is it for case cooling, or something else? Case coolers are usually attached with four recessed screws on the outside of the case that screw into tapped holes in the fan frame.

Bagsey 09:36 04 Jan 09

Which fan is it? Power supply or Processor. The processor fan is usually quite easy to change four screws. Mine had metal tags bent over the screws which when straightened revealed 4 countersunk screws. PSU is not designed to be opened so if it is that one then New PSU needed.

Bagsey 09:37 04 Jan 09

Sorry. Must speed up my typing.

cocteau48 11:04 04 Jan 09

If you do manage to release it then try lubricating it before going for a replacement.
On the hidden face you may well find a paper sticker which,if carefully peeled back,will reveal a removable covering bung and then the bearing. A tiny drop of sewing machine oil is all that is needed.
The bung on mine was such a tight fit that I ended up drilling a tiny hole through it with a pin vice but it subsequently went from the proverbial hamsters wheel to near silence after applying the lube.
More info here:click here

swapper 12:14 04 Jan 09

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

muddypaws, I have had a look at the link you provided.

It seems to be a CPU cooler, the picture of "Socket 478" seems to be the base
on which the vents(?) and the fan sit on, the lugs at each corner seem to be those
that the Fan is clipped to.

My PC, custom built by "Holly Computers" (who did a runner a few years ago), is now
six years old, so I am expecting things to fail, but overall it is still very good (if I could just change the fan).

As I said, the fan itself has tabs at each corner, these are linked to the lugs on the socket,
sat between the fan and socket 478 shown, are vents.

swapper 13:03 04 Jan 09

Thanks everyone, after delving more deeply into the Artic website, I found my obsolete fan, All I had needed to do was exert a little more pressure on the pads provided to release the cooler. this I did, I was being over cautious.
It looks as if the fan is an integral part of the cooler and I will have to renew the whole unit (if the dash of machine oild will not work).

thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now