Cooling

Thatslife 21:26 05 Jan 06

You may (or may not) recall I posted before Christmas about sluggish PC performance and DVD and game stutter.

I think my pro is too hot - Would this cause the above? Temp is 66C and rising as far as I can tell. I already have an extra fan drawing air out at the top back.

I have 1GB RAM, 256MB 6600LE graphics card and my pro is AMD64 3400. There's also an Audigy4 sound card and a TV tuner in there. Must be the temp? Right?

If so what's the next step in cooling my PC???

AndySD 21:30 05 Jan 06

So what is the fan on the processor?

Thatslife 21:34 05 Jan 06

Only had it about 3-4 months as the old one was making funny noises.

Kama CPU cooler

007al 21:34 05 Jan 06

you could try an intake fan at the front.That cpu temp is too high! Ive had a 3400(socket754?)and it was nowhere near that,it overclocked too.Have you checked the thermal paste?A good cooler for that cpu is click here=

Quegg 21:37 05 Jan 06

High tempereature would cause a slow down but if it were getting too hot then your PC would just turn off, and as far as i know 66 degrees isnt that bad ( i once ran a pc at 92 degrees!), its only when it gets in the high 70's that you should get really worried. However i would take a look at the heatsink and consider replacing it as it doesnt cost much.

Thatslife 21:40 05 Jan 06

I remember applying the paste when I installed the fan. It seems to be running fast too.

The specs say it should run at 2850rmp + ot - 10% but BIOS says it's running at 3500 rpm.

I think to top tamp for my pro is 70C according to AMD.

There's no space for an intake fan. It's a solid front.

Quegg 21:48 05 Jan 06

Definately sounds like a heatsink problem to me if the fan is running that fast, be careful your chip doesnt start to melt! They are easy to replace as you probably know and inexpensive

007al 21:49 05 Jan 06

Is that the temperature when its idle,or under load? As i said,i had the same cpu,and it ran at around 30 degrees idle,and 43ish under load.

007al 21:50 05 Jan 06

That was with the fan i mentioned above

Mr Mistoffelees 22:01 05 Jan 06

A highly efficient alternative is the Zalman CNPS9500 click here I have one of these running on an AMD Athlon64 4000+. Running in a warm room temperatures are around 35C idle and no more than 48C under sustained load with Cool and Quiet enabled and the case fans running at the slowest settings.

Thatslife 22:02 05 Jan 06

007al - Ordered the Freezer 64 Pro. Like you say they're not expensive and it could save me a whole world of trouble on the future.

It was under load. When I checked the temp last it had just finshed a virus and spyware scan.

When I've checked it in the past it's been after I've been playing games.

Thanks for all the advice - I'll post back and let you know if (when) I am successful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5