//some 3rd party need geo

Cookies and PC Advisor

oldbeefer2 11:04 22 Aug 04

I like to keep the Internet Privacy option on medium to "restrict 1st party cookies without implicit consent". How do I give this consent so I can avoid having to type in my details every time I want to log on. Beware - I'm a bit of a Muppet with computers!

rawprawn 11:46 22 Aug 04

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, by having to type your details every time you log on. Do you mean when you go on the net ? what is it that asks you for these details and what details does it ask for?

rawprawn 11:51 22 Aug 04

It has just hit me I must be asleep this morning, you mean when you log in to PC Advisor. Just put a tick in the little box at the side of your nickname "Remember me"

rawprawn 11:53 22 Aug 04

Again for it to remember you you have to accept and keep the cookie on your computer. If you are wiping your internet tracks and clearing your cookies you will have to configure the program you are using to keep PCA cookie

oldbeefer2 11:55 22 Aug 04

The box is ticked, but when I open PC Ad the next time, the fields are empty again.

oldbeefer2 11:57 22 Aug 04

I have put PC Ad as an "always allow" cookie in the edit section of the IE6 Privacy page

oldbeefer2 13:06 22 Aug 04

rawprawn
Yup, I've got an internet cleaner - now managed to convince it to leave PC Ad alone ! Thanks

Stuartli 13:07 22 Aug 04

If you go to IE's Tools>Options>Privacy tab>Advanced button you can alter the cookies configuration.

Apart from allowing PC Advisor as you have from the Edit button, if you set First Party Cookies to Allow and Third Party to Block or Prompt (plus allow Sessions Cookies), you can control what cookies, if any, are stored on your system.

A menu will come up and ask if you wish to block/allow or permanently block cookies from individual websites.

It also adds the useful benefit that utilities such as Ad-awareSE and S and D 1.3 have very much less work to do when you perform a scan.

PC Advisor's website states that First and Third Party cookies must be enabled, but your earlier action should still allow access.

Stuartli 13:10 22 Aug 04

If you completely block cookies you may have problems if filling in field forms on websites, such as when ordering goods from online retailers.

Most cookies are harmless - it's keeping out the rest that causes the problems..:-)

smokingbeagle 13:29 22 Aug 04

Go to tool / options /content /auto complete. Won't work if you use an internet cleaner.

oldbeefer2 15:06 22 Aug 04

good advice from all - thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…