Cookies

Granddad Ray 18:02 19 Oct 06

On page 150 of December's PC Advisor there are instructions for deleting cookies. On looking at the cookies on my computer there are an almost unquantifiable number. Firstly what are cookies, how do I identify what ones and would it matter if one was deleted in error?

recap 18:30 19 Oct 06

Holds information on the times and dates you have visited web sites. Other information can also be saved to your hard disk in these text files, including information about online purchases, validation information about you for members-only web sites, and more.

You can delete all your cookies, this will free space on your computer and can in some cases speed up your system. Note though, deletion of certain cookies will mean you will have to enter your details in to site that require a username and password.

Jackcoms 18:37 19 Oct 06

The easiest way to delete cookies (and a lot of other rubbish as well)is to use click here

You can safely delete anything it finds.

michaelandjolou 22:49 19 Oct 06

On explorer select 'tools' from the bar at the top of the page.
In the drop down menu select ' Internet options'.
There's a selection button within the window that opens to delete cookies. If you want to get rid of your cookies, click the button.

michaelandjolou 22:56 19 Oct 06

To answer your question though have a read of this click here
If you have passwords or e-mail addresses set up I would try and memorise them if you access via IE, as the addresses will be stored on cookies normally.

terryf 11:57 20 Oct 06

Google for a program called Whisper32 or click here that allows you to save passwords and other data in a file that needs one password to open it. If you delete all cookies, you will find that some sites that you need to visit will not remember you, for example this site knows that it is me entering the page and asks me to log in because a cookie is stored. My bank also recognises me and then asks me to enter some more security data. Classic fm knows that it is me re-visiting because of a cookie. Anti-spyware will detect bad cookies, Firefox will let you view cookies and allow you to delete individual ones if you choose to do so

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac