Converting Word file to HTML

david.nvr 18:49 06 Jan 03
  david.nvr 18:49 06 Jan 03

I have created a large family tree document in Word. This traces my ancestry back to 1509, including wills and biographies, and it contains many superscripts, indents and other funnies. I would like to publish this document on the web for the benefit of distant 'cousins' but don't want to rewrite it into HTML-friendly plain text.

I started to convert it to HTML manually but this was going to take months of work at my slow rate. I then thought about converting it to a PDF file but I believe that to do so requires very expensive software.

Please does anyone know of economic software that would convert the file, as it stands, from Word into HTML?

Andÿ 18:56 06 Jan 03

Can't you just 'save as web page' in Word ??

I mean by opening it in Word and clicking File and then choosing the 'save as web page' option.

jazzypop 18:57 06 Jan 03

1. You can convert any single file into .pdf for free at adobe.com

2. Current versions of Word will save as HTML. The success of this depends largely on the complexity of the ducument.

3. A quick search of Google will find plenty of free HTML software, most of which will import a Word file.

david.nvr 10:00 07 Jan 03

Thanks, Andy and Jazzypop.

The document is quite complex. I had tried saving it as HTML on my previous computer without success, but that would have been an old version of Word. I now have WorkSuite 2002 so will try again.

If that doesn't work I'll try the free .pdf conversion facility at adobe.com.

What a brilliant forum this is! Useful to the 'duffs' like me, as well as to the 'buffs'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…