Converting Video's To DVD

Poloman69 16:13 30 Apr 04

Wonder if anyone can help

I have some old home movies i wish to convert onto DVD so that i can send them to relatives in America, and wondered what i will need in order to connect my VHS video player to my PC.

Is there any particular software i will need - or do i need a TV card or a graphics card with TV IN or OUT?

Can anyone help with suggestions?

dazzling 16:18 30 Apr 04

you need anologue video capture card either pci or will also need some video authouring software and a dvd burner.make sure you get software that can burn to ntsc format and not just pal that we use over hear.darren

Smiler 16:26 30 Apr 04

You will need something like this click here & plenty of processor power & hard drive space.

Stuartli 16:36 30 Apr 04

Some info here:

click here

Pearly Gates |X|X| 16:48 30 Apr 04

Hello - do you have a creative platinum sound card as the extra box makes life easier for the audio. This device can then be connected, comes with U-lead studio and can convert to PAL or NTSC.
Video goes via the USB and the audio goes in the phono sockets on the platinum. After editing and adding any effects, the file can be burnt to a DVD. If you have a scart socket on your VHS recorder you will need an "OUT" configured scart, you can get one with a switch for either in or out settings, need phonos on the other end. click here

Smiler 17:13 30 Apr 04

Some advice here click here

Poloman69 14:03 04 May 04

Is it easy to convert VHS to DVD or does it need an advanced level of pc skills.

I am looking for the cheapest yet most effective method. I don't have a Platinum card - just Sound Blaster Live. Are analogue capture cards better than the digital ones - i heard they were?

Any website help links would be great

Poloman69 15:55 09 Jul 04

Still no luck - i am looking for the most straightforward method of doing so

Any help?

swapper 16:08 09 Jul 04

SEASHANTY 16:28 09 Jul 04

See this PCA thread posted by someone who also needed to do exactly the same as you.
click here
The problem is the USA. Whereas most modern TV's in this country will convert PAL to NTSC it is difficult to find any TV or video player in the USA which is capable of converting the PAL format. There just isn't any demand for this in the U.S.

TOMMO01 20:12 09 Jul 04

You dont mention the OS you are using. However if I were starting out from scratch again, and I wanted to use the PC for editing I would be looking at getting the Canopus ADVC100 or ADVC50.

Hook your VHS source up to it and it will allow you to captur the video as DV AVI.

Then you need to edit the bits you want using ULEAD, Pinnacle, Premiere or Vegas or even Microsoft Movie maker if you have XP.

Then you need to encode the movie to MPEG2, then author the movies so that you have a selectable menu and the files are converted again (quickly) to a different format, then you need to write them to DVD disk, so you will need a burner.

If you dont want or need all that hassle, buy a sstandalone DVD Recorder and simply link VCR up to it and press record.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…