converting video tapes into video files

casper69 07:50 26 Jun 06

hello

as vhs is a dying breed and myself are the many ones who have a massive collection of tapes, i need to transfer them on to dvd discs or on to my hard drive before i sell them, is there a program that can transfer my vhs tapes on to my hard drive?
cheers

xania 08:52 26 Jun 06

There's quite a lot of material and not a few bits of kit to help with this. To start click here

De Marcus™ 08:57 26 Jun 06

The easiest way would be to use a DVD recorder, however you may stumble onto macrovision which will prevent you from doing so, another hinderance may be that any person buying them may well see them as counterfeit goods.

xania 09:04 26 Jun 06

Sorry, I click before I'd finished, and that articles's a bit old now. So, to continue:

click here

click here

or simply type <transfer VHS to CD> into your favorite search engine.

There are alos lot's of companies offering to do the job for you, bt I don't think you'll be interested in that. Also, some camcorders have the right cables to connect your vhs direct to your PC then most vido edits (Nero comes to mind) will provide the wizard to do the job for you.

woodchip 09:11 26 Jun 06

This is what I use click here
Comes with software

casper69 13:27 26 Jun 06

ive just been reading some of the sites and it says i need a graphics video card with a video card equipped with a video input jack to 'intake' the video as it plays
a video cable (RCA or S-Video) to go from your camcorder / VCR to the video-input card can anyone give any ideas of a good cheap on to buy as ive only got the GeForce 6600GT 128MB 8xAGP DDR3 TV Out DVI nvidia or will this work
cheers

woodchip 13:30 26 Jun 06

It got it all in the link I posted. It work from USB

Rigga 13:38 26 Jun 06

Forgive me if i am wrong, but it sounds as though "transfer them on to dvd discs or on to my hard drive before i sell them" they are normal movie video's not home videos of weddings / holidays etc, otherwise who would buy them.

And most if not all movie videos will be protected, plus it is illegal to copy them.

R.

casper69 13:41 26 Jun 06

oh no sorry i dont mean copy then sell the dvd's i mean copy the vhs and then sell the vhs movies as i wont be needing them.

Sic 15:03 26 Jun 06

Casper 69......but that is still copyright theft. You can't buy the video, copy it to DVD to keep for yourself and then sell the original VHS on again.

That would be the same as buying an album on minidisc, copying it to CD and then selling the minidisc on again.

GroupFC 15:16 26 Jun 06

I believe it is also illegal to sell the VHS movies!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…