converting video to dvd.

Glyn 00:32 14 Dec 03

I'm sorry to put such a dumb question but I want to convert some of my old vhs video tapes to dvd. I have a dvd writer on my PC but how do I connect it to a VCR. The VCR only has ariel in/out sockets and a scart. Is it possible. What do I need to be able to do it.

InZaNE_mOdS 00:38 14 Dec 03

first off, this is not a dumb question. Has been asked by many. You cannot do it with your current hardware. I suggest you getting a capture card which costs anything from 70-100 pounds, and when connected to vcr, just stream the video data over and use some software, i.e. nero to burn to dvd. Btw what specs are your pc?

y_not 07:04 14 Dec 03

You will need a scart to phono lead, a capture device (either graphics card with video in/out such as click here or external USB device such as click here which includes video editing software.

Install the software, plug the scart to you video, the phonos to the "Moviebox", open Studio 8 and click on the capture tab.

Select the options you want such as destination, input format (MPEG, AVI etc.) and capture. Edit the video using the second tab (if you want to alter anything) and then click the "Make disc" tab.

Select the DVD option and again select a destination folder; click the "make disc" option and go to bed!

Authoring (this stage) can take several hours depending on the file size and power of your PC. Once the message appears "Disc successfully compiled" appears close Studio 8.

Open Nero and use the wizard to make a DVD. In the left pane click the VIDEO_TS folder and in the right pane navigate to the file you have created - "drill down" to the VIDEO_TS folder and the files within that (Mostly VOB files) are dragged into the left pane. Burn and enjoy ;-)

Glyn 15:49 14 Dec 03

In answer to InZaNE_mOdS question my PC is a Mesh Matrix 1100S using an Athlon 1100 processor. 512Mb memory and two hard drives - 40Gb partitioned and an 80Gb currently split 15/65 (empty). also GeForce 64Mb Graphics card.

Judging by the advice so far the process while straight forward is decidedly time consuming.

It also looks like a minimum cost of £70+

So would it be better to opt for a stand alone DVD recorder which can be connected to a VCR via the scart lead. I was looking at a Panasonic in Dixons at £300 although I'm sure I've seen them cheaper. On the plus side I wouldn't risk crashing my PC but what about the negatives. I haven't looked into the features but I assume that it would be a fairly basic copy process with limited editing facilities.

Glyn

SEASHANTY 16:05 14 Dec 03

If you do not want to mess about with all the time consuming runaround then buy the standalone Panasonic DVD-R and DVD-RAM recorder DMR-E60 from Techtronics. A five speed multi-region machine which
records VHS to DVD direct from the scart socket on your VCR. Price £347-33 delivered free by Omega Express from click here
The site sometimes takes a while to load the webpage as its pretty busy.

bpboonn 16:20 14 Dec 03

I think that with the Phillips DVD T70 you can do that. recorder costs £279.00 Argos / Curries.

alben 16:33 14 Dec 03

If you have USB 2.0 you could use Belkins high speed Video Creator, it comes bundled with Ulead
Video studio which is a great capturing and editing program fo a begginer.I got it for about
£50 from Novatech and have been very pleased with the results.Just make sure you have good quality composite video and audio leads.

Alan

SEASHANTY 16:38 14 Dec 03

Specification for the E60 hereclick here

siouxah1 19:29 14 Dec 03

Glyn,

If you are able to afford the Panasonic DMR E60, as recommended by SEASHANTY, go along that route. I am sure that SEASHANTY will back me up when I say that it is a good piece of kit. Have only had one coaster.

It will also allow use of DVD RAM which can replace your VCR and also has firewire connection for digital camcorders.

Would not be without mine.

Regards Brian j

SEASHANTY 16:20 15 Dec 03

It sure is wonderful. No coasters either - yet!
Who but the extremely dedicated would go down the route of transferring VHS to hard drive and then to
DVD recordable with all the time consuming effort involved. Simply record via scart from VCR to DVD disc in real time. Using the LP setting will give 4 hours on a 4.7GB DVD-R disc. Normally I get 2 films on one disc and after finalising they play in the domestic DVD player. VHS is not digital high quality anyway and you cannot get a higher quality on DVD recordable than you input so recording on LP is fine.

stlucia 16:26 15 Dec 03

It seems to me the only advantage of going via your PC is that you can then edit the video, add titles, etc., before burning it to DVD. Possibly the stand-alone DVD recorder allows you to do titles, but it's unlikely to offer full edit facilities such as you can get with Ulead or Pinnacle on a PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…