Converting VHS to DVD

pienter 14:09 14 May 07

I have transferred my VHS tapes onto DVD-R with the idea of editing them on a PC using Pinnacle Studio SE 8.8 before saving them finally on DVD which can be viewed with a DVD player. The files on the first DVD are of the types *.BUP, *.IFO and *.VOB. This DVD works satisfactorily on a DVD player but when the clips are 'captured' using the editing software they appear to be blank. The capture format alternatives available are AVI and MPEG. Does this have something to do with the problem and is there a solution?

johndrew 14:27 14 May 07

I use Pinnacle Studio Plus 9.0 but I doubt it`s greatly different to yours.

You need to `Import` the files from DVD (File/Import DVD titles) to be able to edit them in Pinnacle. The `Capture` facility allows you to get video directly from your camcorder, VHS recorder or DVD player. After this you Make Movie and save either HDD or burn directly to DVD.

setecio 14:32 14 May 07

Yes, unfortunately the .vob files that DVD recorders use aren't supported by some editing software (eg windows movie maker and others).

For basic editing use Roxio vidoewave.

Sony vegas movie studio and Adobe premier elements for more complex editing, but beware that Sony vegas movie studio can't import Dolby digital audio soundtracks which are sometimes used on dvd video discs.

setecio 14:33 14 May 07

PS - if you do get one, make sure you copy the files to the HD first and don't edit from the DVD or it will take hours.

David4637 18:56 14 May 07

I have studio V9 updated to V943, IT CAN IMPORT VOBs and they can be editted on the time line, then coded back to VOB files for burning to DVD such that the DVD can be played on a standalone DVD Player. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009