Converting VHS to DVD

Alf58 00:00 21 Jul 06

I have some VHS video tapes I would like to burn to DVD. What do I need in terms of software and connections?
The equipment I possess is as follows:
Pentium 4 PC (2.6 mhz) with spare 100G Hard drive capacity. The PC is equipped with a DVD burner and has USB 2 sockets but no firewire. I have Nero burning software.

I have a VHS video player and can borrow a DV camcorder if necessary (wondered about recording VHS tapes onto DV using camcorder and then connecting it to PC. Problem is I dont even know if you can record onto a camcorder from a VHS machine and even if you can,the DV camcorder has no USB, it has firewire.) Can I connect the VHS machine directly to my PC? If so how? I mean can you get Scart to USB converters for example? And then would the Nero software help me download the contents of the VHS tapes onto my hard drive?

Any ideas folks?

baldtaco 00:12 21 Jul 06

I go from VHS to TV capture card and save as mpg2. I'm sure others here will have alternatives.

Kev.Ifty 00:12 21 Jul 06
  greenlamp 23:55 22 Jul 06

I have found the easiest way to do this is using a DVD recorder, you connrct the vhs player to th dvd recorder by scart lead and away you go recording in real time. DVD recorders are available at less than £100 now, to do this from VHS to PC will cost you a fair junk of this for the necessary hardware and once recorded you will probably need to recode the result. This also has the advantage of having another TV recording device

leedaz 08:44 23 Jul 06

Alf58 I believe you need a analog to digital converter...apparently a Digital Video Camera can do this, if you have one..

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac