Converting Photos to 16:9

Martin12 19:21 12 Jan 08

I have a digital photo frame that is for 16:9 photos. Does anyone know of any software (free!!!) that will convert photos such as 4:3 to this size?

MAJ 19:31 12 Jan 08

You wont CONVERT them without messing them up. You'll have to do a little manipulation. Any graphics manipulation program should do it. Irfanview click here for example.

hssutton 20:32 12 Jan 08

Not possible, you will have to "crop" to make them fit. Photofiltre will do the job as will irfanview.

click here

click here

silverous 21:40 12 Jan 08

In essence any software that does resize without involving some cropping to make fit will lead to the kind of stretched looking photos you see on some amateurish websites/publications where people look out of proportion for example.

Martin12 12:55 13 Jan 08

Thanks for the replies, you can always hope for a simple solution!!
Any of the Sunday crowd got any ideas?

Martin12 12:56 13 Jan 08

Thanks for the replies, you can always hope for a simple solution!!
Any of the Sunday crowd got any ideas?

David4637 14:21 13 Jan 08

You have to use something like Photoshop or PS Elements to do a proper resizing. As above has said you will never achieve a good balanced image unless you take the photo in 16:9 in the first place. David

ton 14:58 13 Jan 08

As stated earlier, all you can do is crop the picture to the widescreen size (which you can do if there is a lot on the picture you don't want) or just view it with a blank part on each side.

Any sort of converting can only CROP them or STRETCH (and distort) them.

Take future pics in 16.9 and they will be ok.

UncleP 15:14 13 Jan 08

If that's all you want to do, suggest you look at Serif PhotoPlus - later versions will do cropping, and image and canvas re-sizing (the latter can add white bars to the sides of a 4:3 to expand it to 16:9) and are often found as free trials on magazine cover disks. In any case, Serif discount superseded versions heavily, so you could probably buy a copy for less than £10. And later versions will also do batch processing, so you could do them all in one go (as long as they're all the same size).

MAJ 16:32 13 Jan 08

Go to Edit > Create Custom Crop Selection, click on the 16:9 option and click "Apply to Image". You'll see that a 'frame' appears on your picture, that frame as the 16:9 ratio and anything inside that frame will form your final 16:9 picture.

It looks small at the moment, but if you place your cursor on one of the sides and while holding down the Ctrl key on your keyboard, you can then drag that frame larger while still keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio. To move your large frame around the picture, use right-click drag. When you are happy with your selection, go to Edit > Crop Selection.

MAJ 16:34 13 Jan 08

It should have read:

Further to my post above, re: Irfanview...........

Open your picture in Irfanview (it's free BTW), then Go to Edit > Create Custom Crop Selection, click on the 16:9 option and click "Apply to Image". You'll see that a 'frame' appears on your picture, that frame as the 16:9 ratio and anything inside that frame will form your final 16:9 picture.

It looks small at the moment, but if you place your cursor on one of the sides and while holding down the Ctrl key on your keyboard, you can then drag that frame larger while still keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio. To move your large frame around the picture, use right-click drag. When you are happy with your selection, go to Edit > Crop Selection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant