Converting PDF file to word-processing file

sheila.weston 19:07 13 Jun 07

I have converted an Open Office file to a PDF file and inadvertantly deleted the Open Office File. I now want to edit the PDF file.

Is there a program which will convert a PDF file to a word-processing file? I normally use Lotus WordPro, but have Open Office also available.

Many thanks, as always.

woodchip 19:12 13 Jun 07

You need a OCR program that will do it

Look hear on the right Orange box click here

woodchip 19:18 13 Jun 07
  woodchip 19:21 13 Jun 07

Freeware click here

IClaudio 19:24 13 Jun 07

For a pretty funky PDF viewer and editor, click here

sheila.weston 20:58 13 Jun 07

Many thanks, all. I want a freeware program as it will probably be used only once. I have downloaded and opened the PDF Converter which woodchip recommends. It appears to be just what I need, but when I converted a file to a MS Word document *.doc, all I got were lots of little squares and I am not sure what is wrong. Open Office should read DOC files, surely?

I haven't tried PDF Xchange yet - does it EDIT files? The blurb is not very clear - or perhaps I am being too impatient!

bretsky 22:08 13 Jun 07

"I haven't tried PDF Xchange yet - does it EDIT files"

Yep it sure does AND MORE, I have both these programs and swear by them. Just use the select tool in the pdf reader tool bar and select your text dragging your mouse , right click and highlight "copy as plain text" then paste into your OpenOffice document,as you used OpenOffice to create your document in the first place, fonts and formatting will remain in tact.

bretsky ;0)

sheila.weston 12:39 14 Jun 07

Bretsky, I have tried to download the trial version of PDF Exchange Lite, but I think it wants to charge me. Have I missed something?

Simsy 13:08 14 Jun 07

(which isn't really "editing" the pdf, but copying from it and pasting into another document), you can use "Adobe Reader", which you probably have already?

Having said that, since the Xchange viewer was pointed out on this site recently, I have found it quicker, so you might want to get it anyway!

With regard to the download... assuming you are on the Xchange website, it's the "PDF Xchange viewer" you need to go for, not, as might easily be thought, "PDF Xchange (Lite edition)"

click here

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

bretsky 13:08 14 Jun 07

To do what you have described above in your original post, you only need the viewer click here which should be v1 build 0018 this is free.(Click under recent news & events)

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 14:08 14 Jun 07

Simsy beat me to it.
bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…