Converting to NTFS from FAT32

Splitty 14:37 19 Nov 03

My system which runs XP is set up as Fat32. I've been advised it would be worthwhile me converting it to NTFS.

Is this a good idea? How do I do it? WIll I lose anything I already have on my PC?

jimv7 14:40 19 Nov 03
  alcudia 15:08 19 Nov 03

It's a very good idea. I've now done it on eight machines. The only problems I've had afterwards were with Outlook 2000. Running the repair tool fixed those. Nothing was lost.

Go to Start\Run and type cmd.

At the promt type convert C: /fs:ntfs

If you are converting a different drive letter substitute it.

You will receive a couple of messages, for one you will need to know the name of your hard drive eg local disk or main disk etc. type this when asked. Say yes (y) to any other questions.

You will then get a message stating that the drive cannot be converted because it is in use (if you are converting your C drive) and do you want to schedule it for the next restart. Again say yes (y) (rtrn).

Restart the computer and the drive will convert. How long it gtakes will depend on disc size and data on it. The biggest I've done is 120Gb, took about 10 minutes, but it only had XP on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…