so a windows 98 hardrive can see the xp ntfs hardrive

without loosing any data

if so, how please

alcudia 12:01 12 Nov 03

You will have to re-format the drive with the command

format c: /fs:fat32

Assuming it is C you want to work with.

You will lose everything.

XP warns when you convert to NTFS that there is no going back.

©®@$? 12:07 12 Nov 03

i did a clean install of xp with ntfs,as that was the only option, but i have installed data since so would prefer to avoid loosing any data..

the reason why i want to do this as the old computer has data on the old hardrive which is windows 98, if i boot into windows 98 it doesn't see xp hardrive as it's ntfs, so i cannot copy the data over, but the other way is to boot to the xp hardrive which recognises the 98 partition, but it is hard to make head nor tail of all the files, as they are no asscoiated with anything and i cannot browse the system like i would booting into 98, as the computer has data all over the place and it is a 2gb hardrive which is full so i cannot install any app's to backup the data from the 98 partition

so the eaiest way would to have both fat32 partitons, so i can boot into 98 and copy the files, which are readable from 98 to xp..

there must be a way, i know it can be donw with partition magic, but thats not an option at the moment, i know you can convert fat32 to ntfs without loosing data..

if it isn't possible then i will have to start over with the xp, which is a pain in the backside..

©®@$? 12:13 12 Nov 03

i should of mentioned i built this new computer for a famlily member and it is their data i'm trying to transfer as they are not with me, it is hard to tell which files are what through the xp partiton, as there are allot of business data, which are asscoiated with programs like ms money etc, which are password protected.this is why i need to boot to 98 partition, so the familily member can tell me which files are what and then i can simply transfer them to the new it is at the moment it is hard work..and i'm really not in the mood for messing around with it..

©®@$? 12:24 12 Nov 03

i'll proabably start again with the xp partitiona and create a fat32

just another question about programs and compatability

for example

if say a file was made with an earlier version of ms money , would installing the latest version of msmoney be able to open/read and operate the file

DieSse 12:27 12 Nov 03

The way I do this (and I do it quite frequently in upgrading systems ) is

Boot up in XP with the old drive attached.

Make a folder on the new drive called (say) OldDriveContents then copy (simply drag/drop) the WHOLE of the old drive - warts and all, into it.

Then at least you can forget about whether you forgot anything or not.

Then remove the old drive and forget about Win98.

Now you must install the applications you need onto the XP system - the files will be useless without the applications, of course - then all the file associations for the old data will reappear!

Now you will find it fairly straightforward to copy the data files to where they belong. And as a bonus you have what amounts to a complete backup of the old system sitting on the new drive.

One word of advice - delete the Win98 swap file before you do the copy - it's very large, and you won't need it.

alcudia 12:31 12 Nov 03

I recently read a report in PC Plus about this.

Money seemed to excel at importing Quicken files and converting them, but when importing its own files from previous versions it was hopeless.
Which is why I've still got version '97.

Going back to the other issue, I have come across this problem with XP not offering a choice of file systems. Perhaps some else knows a way around this.

Could you not just install the older version of Money (depending on how old it is) on to XP and copy the files by CD.

DieSse 12:33 12 Nov 03

Almost always newer versions of programs can import the data from older version - it's the other way round that tends to cause problems.

If they can't be read directly, then there's usually an Import facility.

Otherwise they would cut off upgrading - and few software suppliers want to risk that!!

alcudia 12:36 12 Nov 03

Agreed, but Microsoft actually acknowledged this problem, and were going to fix it.

©®@$? 12:38 12 Nov 03

top man!

thats the answer i was looking for

nice one, i feel a little better now..

how do i get rid of that swap file?

and will the file associations work if the programs i use to re-asscoiate them are newer versions

for some reason when im looking through the windows 98 partiton through xp, say my documents folder on the D:\drive (which is 98) or my music folder, sends me to the xp hardrive C:
i find that strange, would it still be ok to do what you suggest

also if i copy the whole 98 drive , will that also copy the desktop contents as thats where he has allot of files and folders, a real mess it is

©®@$? 12:41 12 Nov 03

thanks too you aswell

the way i around xp just choosing ntfs partiton on a clean install, is to create a fat32 partition with fdisk from startup floppy

then do a clean install of xp, then you get the option for fat32 and ntfs

i know all this and i dind't think ahead hence my problem..

silly boy i am

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…