Converting hard disk drives to work externally

tallboy 23:03 18 Nov 06

I have several unused internal HDDs that I would like to make use of as portable external drives.

A company called Datawise used to make a conversion kit to enable you to box up the drive neatly and convert it to work on a parallel printer port. However, the kit only worked with Windows 98.

I have one of these units and it has worked well - and still does with my old PC. I'd now like to do the same sort of conversion with spare drives to use with my XP machine via a USB or parallel port.

I have been unable to track down Datawise. Does anyone else make / supply such a kit?

All ideas welcome.

Tallboy

SANTOS7 23:06 18 Nov 06

click here
these may help,good luck..

Scouter 23:07 18 Nov 06

Maplins sells such cases I have made use of 120 & 160 Gig drives as external back up drives.

Kit I used was Integra cost 26 pounds easy to fit drib
ve, comes with power supply etc, you do need to buy usb cable. have a look at Maplin site

click here

woodchip 23:07 18 Nov 06

Just by a USB2 Caddy, change the Drive Jumper to Master before you fit the drive in the Caddy. XP loads drivers automatic. But for 98se ME you need to load drivers from Supplied CD with Caddy

woodchip 23:08 18 Nov 06

Buy not By

taffyal 23:13 18 Nov 06

I got a used EasyIde connector cheap on Ebay. works a treat

tallboy 08:38 19 Nov 06

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…