//some 3rd party need geo

Converting from FAT32 to NTFS

I have decided that I would like to change my C drive to NTFS.

I know how to birng up the command prompt and what command has to be entered. Howerber, I get a message advising that the volume has to be dismounted and a reference to 'handles'

As I'm not sure what this means, I would like to know if there is anything additional I need to do or can I just continue with the process.

OS is XP Home

Many thanks.

-pops- 10:15 06 Jul 03

Go into XP Help and Support. This will guide you through everything.

Chegs ® 10:20 06 Jul 03

All its saying is XP needs restarted(to clear files in use)to complete the change.

Jamie.com 10:28 06 Jul 03

Read the Troubleshooting bit of this from the M$ website, it tells you what to do.

click here

bamfiesler 10:42 06 Jul 03

How important if this conversion? I am running xp, upgraded over 98se on a FAT32 drive.

bamfiesler 10:42 06 Jul 03

How important is this conversion? I am running xp, upgraded over 98se on a FAT32 drive.

-pops- 10:53 06 Jul 03

If your machine is running well and in the way you want it to, it is best to leave well alone. Perhaps if you ever have to re-install for any reason, you could think about a changeover then.

If it ain't broke - - - etc!

Conversion has gone OK but I had to reactivate Windows, but this was fine.

One thing I have noticed is that there is a awful lot of hard drive activity after the desktop has loaded meaning that I have to wait quite a while before I can get access to programs. Is there anything I can do, defrag for instance, that will cure this.

Philip2 11:33 06 Jul 03

I never liked the upgrade for XP i found it was better todo a clean install using the full version if you have it,i did have a problem with ACPI errors on the older computer but that was sorted works fine now.

-pops- 11:41 06 Jul 03

Provided you have a qualifying O/S, you can do a clean install from an XP upgrade disk. During the installation it will ask for the qualifying didk just to check that you have the right to do what you are doing.

Brian

Taran 12:19 06 Jul 03

The drive activity is known ask disk thrashing.

It's a problem related to NTFS disks and in some cases there's not much you can do about it.

I've noticed that some hardware responds better to NTFS that other items.

One of my Toshiba laptops slows to a crawl after an NTFS conversion or even after a clean install onto an NTFS disk. It takes ages to boot, after Widnows desktop appears it takes even longer to allow any programs to respond and there is constant hard drive activity.

I've tried everything I know and only marginally improved the situation on this particular machine after many hours of messing around with paging file size, location and virtual memory settings. I formatted it back to FAT32 and it's run beautifully ever since.

Other machines I have show little or no similar issues with NTFS. It seems to be a case of some do and some don't, at least in terms of noticable performance loss and the steps you have to take to remedy the situation are a little involved and often don't do much to help.

Unless your system has slowed to a crawl, I'd just ignore things and leave well alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…