Converting FAT32 to NTFS

cagey 11:54 08 Aug 06

I am using Win XP SP2, 2xHDD(each into two partitions). One of the partions on 2nd HDD is in FAT32 and I am trying to convert it to NTFS using info from previous threads. However when I go in using RUN, CMD, Convert e: /FS:NTFS, it starts converting but then comes up with "error converting file KEN'SE~2.TIB", the conversion failed.
I have tried to search for this file including looking in system & hidden files and folders but with no success. Can anyone help please?

MichelleC 12:03 08 Aug 06

Is it a 'recovery' partition, ie; linked to redo to factory settings?

cagey 12:11 08 Aug 06

Thanks MichelleC, but how can I get rid of it to be able to Convert from Fat to NTFS?

cagey 13:43 08 Aug 06

Can anyone help me pleeeeeeeeeease?

James. 14:13 08 Aug 06

The File extension .TIB is associated with Acronis True Image, which leads me to conclude MichelleC was right in her assumption that this is a hidden restore partition

If this is so, are you sure you wish to convert it to NTFS as this will serve no useful purpose, and may indeed leave you unable to restore your PC to a workable condition in the event of a future failure.

If you are sure you want to do this, and assuming you have backed up any data you want from the partition, go to disk management, and from there format the partition, and after that run the convert tool to convert it to NTFS.

freaky 16:09 08 Aug 06

What size is the Hard Drive, because if I remember correctly, NTFS is only suitable for drive capacity above 100GB.

Also, as stated above - if you have created backups using Acronis True Image, then you will not be able to use them as they will be in FAT32 format.

reece1705 16:44 08 Aug 06

No, NTFS will work on drives less than 100Gb. In fact i have got it to work on a 4GB drive.

freaky 20:41 08 Aug 06

Note: I said NTFS is only suitable for drives with 100GB or more capacity.

There are no benefits in having NTFS (New Type File Structure) on a 4GB drive, in fact the opposite would apply - otherwise all HD would use NTFS, and FAT32 would have become redundant years ago !

VoG II 20:48 08 Aug 06

FAT for drives <2GB in fact click here

cagey 20:49 08 Aug 06

Sorry for delay in picking up responses but have been out. I have an old copy of Acronis True Image (Version 6)on the computer which i am going to remove and install version 9. If when I remove Ver. 6 would I then be able to convert my one Fat32 partition to NTFS without having to format the drive. I do know that you can use NTFS on smaller drives as the other 3 partitions are all NTFS. Advice please?

freaky 21:13 08 Aug 06

Thanks for that link, very informative - I have now added it to my Favorites for further investigation.

reece1705 - it would appear I was wrong, please accept my apologies !

This is a very good example of the advantages of being a member of this forum - you learn a lot !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…