converting fat32

kimbo2kimbo2 10:02 15 Apr 08

Hi, i hope someone can help me please,i have a computer which is quite old now but i does what is needed & is ok for me,(forgive me, as im not to great with computer stuff etc) ,it is a tiny machine with 256meg of ram, 32meg graphics, pentium 4,(1.4), 80gb hard drive ,dvd drives & a modem for the internet,& windows me,well it did have but i managed to save up for a upgrade to windows xp home (yes you may say it is old but it is my only option)i managed to upgrade to windows xp & i still have a option to go back to it if i want,but the problem is this (hopefully i remember what i was told) at the moment it has fat30 & i need ntfs,because i need to copy large files to the computer that are very big from a dvd but my computer says i do not have enough disk space, but i do as i have 55gb left,i have been told it is because of the fat thing,but they cant find where to change it to ntfs & i have tried looking in accessories & in disk managment but cant find it ? can anyone offer me help please thank you,kim

brundle 10:03 15 Apr 08
  kimbo2kimbo2 10:11 15 Apr 08

Thank you very much brundle, i will give it a good read first as i dont want to loose any important data from my computer,then i will give it a go,but thank you again.kim

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:26 15 Apr 08

256meg

If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

and more memory may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac