Converting digital 8 tapes to dvd

myanmarboy 00:46 05 Jul 07

My Sony Digital 8 Handycam just gave up the ghost on it's "record" function. The player still works but a repair looks to be commercially unviable.
I am just about sold on replacing the camera with a new mini dv job, but have lots of digi8 tapes that I would like to convert to dvd so as not to lose the material.
I have experimented with capturing some material to WMM and making movies, but when I play them back in WMP the quality is a long way removed from playing back the tapes through my handycam tova tv. At full-screen on my pc they are barely watchable.
Am I doing something wrong or is there bound to be a big loss of resolution? I have'nt burned anything to disc yet as at this quality I feel it would be a waste of time/money.
I don't have a firewire and have captured so far via USB 2.0, could this be the problem? Also my pc spec is not that high - Pentium 4, 2.4 ghz, 768 mb of RAM, but 200Gb of available storage.
I would be grateful for any help at all including advice on good literature on editing for beginners.
Thank you.

MichelleC 11:16 05 Jul 07

To capture DV onto pc you need to do it via firewaire. USB can't cope with that format.

myanmarboy 14:08 05 Jul 07

MichelleC
thanks for the info. will fit a firewire card and try again

Totally-braindead 16:40 05 Jul 07

Easiest way is to record direct to a stand alone DVD recorder.

myanmarboy 19:43 05 Jul 07

Totally-braindead
I would have liked to have edited out the junk before saving them and I don't have a dvd recorder yet, but I may have to consider this option. If I go down this path can I edit them from the dvd?

Totally-braindead 21:58 05 Jul 07

I think so but have never tried it so am unsure, the only thing I have ever done is connect either a camera or a video to my DVD recorder, hit play on one and record on the other and thats it.
You could always borrow someones recorder and try it.
If its 2 hours of footage it will take you 2 hours to copy it onto DVD, you could just pop into a friends with your camcorder and try it.

myanmarboy 22:25 05 Jul 07

Totally-braindead
Someone just suggested that if I replaced my old camera with a new minidv that had a A/V IN line, I could transfer directly from the old to the new and edit out the junk at the same time. Do you think that this is a go-er. It sounds good.

myanmarboy 23:54 05 Jul 07

I think that should have been DV in.

Totally-braindead 13:56 06 Jul 07

If your old camcorder has the AV out then I see no reason it wouldn't work, same as the connecting to a DVD recorder really just using a minidv rather than the recorder. Haven't tried it but see no reason it wouldn't work.

myanmarboy 00:30 07 Jul 07

Totally-braindead and MichelleC. Thanks for the help. Definitely going for the Minidv option and hopefully can save my old digi8's now. Cheers

iamgrunt 03:18 13 Jul 07

Minidv and Digital8 have exactly the same video and sound quality, your problem is not the camera, is that in USB you are losing a lot of quality, if you want to convert to DVD without losses you need to do it via firewire.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…