convert vhs tapes to dvd's

tapsilteerie 22:00 25 Oct 07

Can anyone help! I want to convert my old vhs tapes to dvd. My laptop has the 1394 port-what would I need to connect up to my old vcr?

Totally-braindead 22:09 25 Oct 07

The trouble with using a computer to do it is it uses a lot of processing power and takes a hell of a lot of drive space.
I'm not sure you can connect a VCR to a firewire port.
To be honest with you the simplest way is to take the computer out of the equation in my opinion.
Get a cheap standalone DVD recorder and connect that via the SCART lead to the video, set it up correctly press play on the video and record on the DVD and job done. You might need to finalise the DVD but the manual for your DVD recorder will explain all that.
Its a lot simpler than other methods, in my opinion at least. Of course you can't edit them doing it this way but it is easy.

john bunyan 22:52 25 Oct 07

I agree with Totally-braindead.

jack 20:15 26 Oct 07

I second BD too
Done it both ways. VHS to DVD recorder every time

Wak 10:11 27 Oct 07

I would also add that video files can be extremely large (over 1GB per half hour) so if you want:-
1. smaller files (MPEG2, 250MB per half hour) so that more can be stored on to DVDs, (for playing on the computer),
2. to edit out the adverts, or
3. synchronise the sound to the picture,
you can use the following FREE computer programs.

"VLC" to convert VOB files (on DVD) to MPEG2, then
"MediaCoder" to convert MPEG2 to MPEG1, then
"VirtualDub" to edit out adverts, synchronise sound to picture and save as AVI files, then
"MediaJoin" to join the AVI section together, then
"VLC" to reconvert the final AVI file to MPEG2.

Google for the above programs.

FREE programs can also convert the finished MPEG2 files back into authored VOB files so that they can be played on the TV via CD/DVD players.
The above operations can take a very long time but you can always set the computer to carry them out while you get on with something else(shopping, sleeping, drinking??).

I hope this helps.

David4637 13:25 27 Oct 07

Some DVD Recorders eg panasonic, will allow you to edit out adverts etc. David

David4637 13:28 27 Oct 07

I thought VLC was a Video player, does it also do some converting as well? David

Wak 16:58 27 Oct 07

Yes it does, David.
Go to FILE and then down to WIZARD.
As you will know, it plays almost anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac