convert purchased music

silliw 22:31 02 Oct 06

I have purchesed music downloads from iTunes and Virgin Music and wish to convert them to mp3 to put them on my phone and mp3 player. Is there a special process/software i have to follow to do this neither device will play the wma formats.

thanks in advance

skidzy 22:35 02 Oct 06

click here
Or switch may sort this for you click here

Hope this helps

Ptolemy 22:39 02 Oct 06

If you have iTunes hi-light the track, right-click and select "Covert selection to mp3" - the location and bitrate for the new mp3 depends on the settings in preferences.

silliw 22:47 02 Oct 06

Hi Ptolemy,

Tried this but the options only allowed me to convert to AAC, but when I tried this it said this could not be done as the media was protected. I'm totally confused as I purchsed it and should have the licence??????

silliw 22:53 02 Oct 06

I keep getting a DRM error.

Am I using the wrong the wrong sources (virgin & itunes) if they are not in the right format for my devices?

skidzy 22:56 02 Oct 06

Did you read my first link silliw,it guides you through the process.

powerless 22:58 02 Oct 06

You can only play back iTunes ACC protected songs on your computer via iTunes or on an iPod.

However you can burn them to CD and then import tham back into iTunes or Windows Media Player. But you loose all of the ID3 tags so you'll have to manually edit them.

DrScott 23:54 02 Oct 06

TBH that's what I do, but for some reason the ID3 tags still remain - of course, iTunes does auto search tracks to keep the ID3 tags up to date...

Ptolemy 09:26 03 Oct 06

silliw - as the others have said iTunes allows conversion to several (well, three I think)formats - you have to stipulate which one in the settings.

As for protected music... I've never encountered this problem as I use p2p sites, however, burning the track and re-ripping it should overcome that problem - if the protection doesn't prevent you burning it.

Another possibility would be to record it when it plays - Audacity click here will enable you to do that - you'll have to play about with the source and record levels to get the levels right, but there's no possibility that protection can prevent this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…