Convert NTFS to FAT32

MichaelF 17:11 06 Mar 09

I have an external hard drive which currently runs NTFS which I want to convert to FAT32.
This is because I want ot copy files from my Humax Freesat Hd and it will only recognise FAT32.
I have looked on the forum but every topic sdeems to be to convert FAT32 to NTFS.
Anybody and ideas how to go about it?

Michael

jimv7 17:20 06 Mar 09

I believe you have to format the drive to return to fat32.

bremner 17:22 06 Mar 09

It can not be done with ease or with any degree of reliability.

Partition Magic (Tragic) can do it but I would not risk any data I could not afford to loose.

Can you save the data anywhere else and then reformat the external drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 06 Mar 09

Can't be done without losing data, back up the drive to another source and then format as FAT32.

Graham. 17:55 06 Mar 09

File size limit with FAT32 may also be a factor. Have a read click here

MichaelF 19:00 06 Mar 09

I have cleaned the drive completely so there is nothing to loose on it.
So I presume I just reformat it and I will be given a choice as to the format I want at some stage.

Michael

MichaelF 19:03 06 Mar 09

Graham,

I have just read the link you identified for me thanks, that seems to be a solution.

Michael

woodchip 19:36 06 Mar 09

You have to clear the Partition, you do not need to Format it to remove NTFS, but you will then need to create a Fat32 Partition using Disc from click here Download the tenth file from top, then put a Floppy in your drive and double click on the download to create a boot disc. You have to start with the disc. However you may be able to do all the above using Disc Manager if you are using XP.

Right click on My Computer\Manage\Disc Manager you need to have the Drive connected to be able to remove the Partition and create a new Fat32 one. After creating the Partition you have to shut down the Computer then the Drive, Restart Computer and Drive then Go back to Disc Management and Format the Fat32 Partition

MichaelF 11:09 07 Mar 09

Woodchip,

I did what you suggested but when I came to create/format the new partion the only option offered was to create a NTFS disc.

Michaelf

Quiller. 13:22 07 Mar 09

"Right click on My Computer\Manage\Disc Manager you need to have the Drive connected to be able to remove the Partition and create a new Fat32 one. After creating the Partition you have to shut down the Computer then the Drive, Restart Computer and Drive then Go back to Disc Management and Format the Fat32 Partition"

Create the first partition to below 32Gb. Then the drop down box will give you the option to format in fat32

MichaelF 16:09 07 Mar 09

Hi Woodchip,

I think I am getting there. I have now got a partition on the drive of 25mb with FAT32. The rest of the drive (125mg)is shown as unallocated. If I try and format the drive it only formats the 25mb. If I try and create a new partition on the balance of the drive it tries to give it a new drive letter and again only offers me NTFS. I am obviously missing something here. Sorry if I am being a bit thick.

Michaelf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…