Convert Lotus data

Baslla321 18:35 15 Nov 03

I have some letters which I typed on Lotus on Win98 months ago. After uninstalling Lotus and replacing it with MS Office, I found out that Office cant read or convert these letters to be readable. Is there any software that can do the job? I dont want to reinstal Lotus if possible.
Thanks.

VoG II 18:41 15 Nov 03

What version of Office do you have?

Baslla321 18:58 15 Nov 03

I have Office 2000 on Win 98. (I have Office 2003 on my other new XP pc)

VoG II 19:05 15 Nov 03
  DieSse 20:47 15 Nov 03

I think you got the wrong software there VoG!!

There is no converter that I know of, you could try opening with "Recover text from any file" selected as the file type.

When I changed from Lotus to MS several years ago, I converted all my Lotus files to Word Perfect - then opened them in Word as Word Perfect files - worked very well at the time!!

Or if you were really pushed, you could find a free version of Lotus Wordpro on a cover disk perhaps - I know they've been there in the past - and then output the Lotus files as word files.

Baslla321 11:28 16 Nov 03

Well, I tried hard. The Lotus LWP files could not be converted. I followed the Troubleshooting instructions and chose 'Confirm conversion at open' & OK, and I managed to get a jumbo mambo version but with a fairly legible amount of clear text, so I got the gist of the file. MS Word 2000 Convert File Window locates the file on 'Encoded text'. I then tried on 'Recover Text from any file and got the above.THANKS. RGDS

Taran 12:10 16 Nov 03

If you come unstuck and the letters are not of a sensitive nature you could always take them to a system that still has Lotus SmartSuite installed, open them, resave as MS Office files and off you go. Perhaps you know someone who still has Lotus installed ?

I keep one Laptop with Office 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 installed as well as Lotus SmartSuite Millennium 9.7 for the very purpose of being able to deal with client files. I still do a lot of work for people who run various versions of Office and Lotus, so it makes sense to keep software running that can cope with their data.

QuickView Plus, if memory serves, allows you to actually see what's in Lotus files and I'm pretty sure you can copy the body text from them and paste it into other applications. It's been a year or more since I last played with it, but the whole point to QuickView is its ability to 'read' file formats for file types that you do not have the source program installed for. The homepage for a trial download is click here

You could always just reinstall Lotus to do your conversion from within Lotus Word Pro using the file, Save As menu. SmartSuite and Office work well and do not interfere with one another.

Baslla321 12:33 16 Nov 03

Many thanks for your three possibilities. Quickview is really good but I have managed to get enough info for now. I will most prob reinstall Lotus Smatsuit if I want a proper copy.
Again thanks & best regards

pj123 14:56 16 Nov 03

Although you say you don't want to re-install Lotus if you don't have to I think that is your best bet and then resave all the files you want as .rtf. They can then be read by any wordprocessor. Take a bit of time but you only have to do it once.

Bandy 18:13 16 Nov 03

A couple of years ago I downloaded converters from Microsoft for Office 97 which then enabled me to open Lotus files in Word etc.

I don't know if they are still available but would presume so.

I tried these converters with many files and they are still working today. They went under names such as wdsupcnv.exe

Hope this helps

Bandy 18:32 16 Nov 03

I've been having a look around but can only find these at the moment, for 123, but will have another look later click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…