Convert internal hdd to external ? - again.

greybeard 21:51 21 Dec 06

I can see that there are many configs for different types of hdd caddies, but I'm not sure which is suitable for my hdd.
It's an IBM Travelstar 48gb model IC25T048ATD05 5400rpm ATA/IDE, 2.5", and is 12.5mm thick.
It's got a single connector, with 44 pins(one missing in the middle) then a space, then 4 more.
There's no separate power socket, and it reminds me of a miniature SCSI, but that may be just a coincidence.

I'm afraid I need a bit more advice on cabling and caddy types after my previous thread.
I'd be only using it to act as a temporary backup store so there would be no great power drain at other times, so usb would be ok. However,the only caddies that I've seen illustrated just show a usb cable externally, and don't show if this particular hdd will fit the internal socket.

Ashrich 22:06 21 Dec 06

That's fine , normal pins for an IBM/Hitachi laptop drive , should fit without problems .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:09 21 Dec 06

Meant to say that the 4 separate pins are for jumpers ...none for master , right vertical for slave , top horizontal for Csel .

Ashley

greybeard 22:25 21 Dec 06

Hi Ashley, do you mean that it would fit any of the usb type caddies that are currently being advertised on ebay ?
I pressume the jumper set up is done inside the caddy ?
John

greybeard 22:29 21 Dec 06

I should also have said that I pressume there is a chip inside the caddy converting the parallel data lines to a serial. Is this how it works?
Forgive the ignorance - this is a new area for me !
John

woodchip 23:13 21 Dec 06

just buy a Laptop Caddy, remove the Drive clip that is for the Laptop it's not needed and will stop you connecting it. they just connect to USB. no jumpers to set like on a 3.5 ins drive and does not need a power supply it all comes down the USB

woodchip 23:14 21 Dec 06

PS I got one for £5 same drive but with the hitachi name from a computer fair

greybeard 13:55 22 Dec 06

Quote <just buy a Laptop Caddy, remove the Drive clip that is for the Laptop it's not needed and will stop you connecting it. they just connect to USB.>
You don't say in your post anything about the connector. If its got the socket in the back of the case, and was an internal device, how do I then connect it to the usb socket ?
The "caddies" that I've looked at come from simple metal clips, the type you say remove I guess, to proper cases complete with cable(s).
I've just questioned one supplier who replied that his caddy is only for "slimline", presumably a 9mm thick hdd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 22 Dec 06

You need and external drive case click here

laptop caddies are really just adaptors to connect a standrd drive to the partcular make of laptop.

external drive cases are sometimess refere to as caddies (confusing isn't it).

Pamy 15:14 22 Dec 06

No nead even for a caddy, click here

jack 15:42 22 Dec 06

Don't worry about the technology John
Set the jumper to master for a start as it is a standalone item not part of the main set up.
If you get a zilch result set it to cable select.
Then connectors are standard just play around nothing is going to break.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…