Convert FAT32 to NTFS (This One Please)

DJ-Garry 02:38 19 Mar 04

I have a version of XP pro that will not start in DOS so I can only use it to upgrade from Win98 to XP. This I successfuly did about a month ago but have tried and then uninstalled so many different programs that that the system has become unstable (too mant things to mention). I have a second 120Gb hard drive so did the same again, looking to start again having now found out which are the best programs I need on my system. Also the second drive is ATA133 so I'm hoping should run a little faster. (Now the question). When I did the upgrade the first time, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade the file system to NTFS, to which I answered yes. The second time, I was not asked so now have XP running on FAT32. Does anyone know how to change the file system AFTER the upgade. I have not loaded any programs on the system yet, just a nice clean XP upgrade install. If possible a freeware program as I'm on a tight buget after paying for the XP disk. Thanks very much, Garry.

If you can't post your advise to the site, could you please email me direct to:
[email protected]
Thanks, Garry.

The Spires 09:44 19 Mar 04

To change from FAT 32 to NTFS for more stability and security, open the command prompt (In the start menu) and type: "Convert C: /FS:NTFS". Make sure there is a space between the C: and the foward slash (/). Once you press enter it will ask you for confirmation and press Y. Then press Y and enter once more to reboot. You will need to defrag afterward, it will take while the first time you do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now