convert dynamic volume

sidmo 10:29 11 Jan 10

I have a 160 gb sata drive which is showing up in computer management as a dynamic drive (149.05 gb unallocated online (errors)I need to convert this to a basic drive but nothing I have tried works . It is a Western digital and I have used their data lifeguard which shows it as "9 Gb Smart status ? not available". I have dowloaded test disk but I am not sure how to use this.
What I want to do is use this drive to install windows on ( am presently using an old 40 gb ide drive) The sata drive is not new and I don't need to save any data.Hope you can understand this.

Graphicool1 10:43 11 Jan 10
  Graphicool1 10:47 11 Jan 10
  Graphicool1 10:51 11 Jan 10

My last post was posted before the second from last. This has been happening on and off for some time on PCA. All I can do is offer my apology on their behalf for any confusion this may cause. ¦¬] G1

Graphicool1 10:53 11 Jan 10

This is what MS says:-
How to Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk
To change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk:
Back up all the data on all the volumes on the disk you want to convert to a basic disk.
Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
In the left pane, click Disk Management.
Right-click a volume on the dynamic disk that you want to change to a basic disk, and then click Delete Volume.
Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the volume.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each volume on the dynamic disk.
After you have deleted all the volumes on the dynamic disk, right-click the dynamic disk that you want to change to a basic disk, and then click Convert to Basic Disk.

NOTE:You must right-click the gray area that contains the disk title on the left side of the Details pane. For example, right-click Disk 1.
Source:- click here
(Presuming your OS is WinXP Pro?

sidmo 10:56 11 Jan 10

when I right click it only gives me the option New Volume

sidmo 11:26 11 Jan 10

You can hack a Dynamic Volume back to Basic without any Data loss by using "ptedit32.exe". Just change the Partition type to 07.

Er.. how do I do that? Afraid my computer skills are not as great as yours.

Graphicool1 11:45 11 Jan 10

What OS are you using?

sidmo 11:46 11 Jan 10

windows XP Pro

sidmo 12:18 11 Jan 10

Have managed to change it to basic using testdisc and it is now formatting, so will tick as resolved. Thanks to all who responded to my problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant