Convert DVDs to AVI.....

Tim1964 10:30 10 Jun 07

Hi,

My laptop DVD drive seems to be on the way out but I can play AVI files on it (the lapppy, not the drive).

I'm looking for a way to convert a DVDs (recorded off the TV) to an AVI file. It has to be really simple and FREE (to make sure it works before paying) as I have tried a few today and the help files only help if you had written them yourself in the first place and/or only convert a sample of the file.

When I open the DVD it lists IFO and VOB files etc and that's the problem. Is there any software where it just needs to 'see' the DVD and has a big START button on it? (yes that simple :D)

Thanks,

cocteau48 11:08 10 Jun 07

It may not be simple enough for you but:
click here

€dstowe 11:25 10 Jun 07

Is your DVD drive actually failing or is it that you don't have DVD codecs/DVD player software to allow them to play?

If the drive is failing, look seriously at getting it replaced as a laptop without an optical drive will be pretty much useless if something goes wrong.

If it's just the DVD part of the drive, look into buying a USB external drive (assuming you have player software installed).

eedcam 14:15 10 Jun 07

You could try Virtual-dub mpeg2 its free and will convert to avi be warnded your looking at massive file sizes 13G/b per hour in avi

Tim1964 17:02 10 Jun 07

Thanks for the replies,

I might try cleaning the laser bit of the drive first to see it that improves the problem. I do have the required codecs etc on the lappy as it worked before, Sometimes it can find the disc other times it can't, so it seems to have an issue seeing the disc rather thn what's on it..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…