Convert 8MM Videotape to DVD

collinsc 16:33 27 Nov 10

Hi

Looking to convert my Dads old 8MM tapes to DVD. Assume the only way is to use a capture device box between the camcorder and PC?

Seen the following, is this any good? Any other software out there recommended?

click here

Thanks

Ian in Northampton 17:53 27 Nov 10

I can't speak for Honestech kit. I used a Canopus ADVC-55 to convert all my old VHS tapes, with good results. It's more expensive than the Honestech, but mostly, you get what you pay for.

eedcam 09:33 28 Nov 10

If you have A/V out then a dvd recorder is the eaiest and probably the best route.No furhter conversion will be needed and easy to put on the pc for editing if required later

100andthirty 10:02 28 Nov 10

Dear collinsc......

What model is the 8mm camera - assume you have one! If you're very lucky, it might be a model with a firewire socket. If so, the camera might be able to do the conversion for you.

I have a Sony Digital 8 camera and it will also play older analog tapes. It will also digitise the analog tapes and send the digital stream to the firewire socket. This provides a very reliable transfer method to your video editing programme. I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio for editing.

collinsc 11:01 28 Nov 10

100andthirty - im still awaiting response from my Dad as per the camcorder make and model. Think it's a Sony. Once he lets me know i'll post it up.

eedcam - will check if it has an A/V out - dont all cams? - Id then need to decide which to buy a DVD recorder or the capture device. My laptop has a DVD burner - assume this differs...!?

100andthirty 12:20 28 Nov 10

I'm with eedcam.....if you have to use a/v outputs a DVD recorder is much easier. You could then rip the DVD to a computer later for editing if you want to.

collinsc 13:28 28 Nov 10

ok thanks.
still trying to find out if it has an A/V Output.

The camcorder is:
SONY VIDEO 8 HANDYCAM VIDEO CAMERA RECORDER MODEL NO CCD-----TR50E OTHER INFO ON CAMERA AF CCD

Cassettes used:
VIDEO 8 8MM PAL

Can you recommend a DVD recorder? will certainly be looking to edit the movies. Looking for something simple so my dad can use it!

anchor 13:54 28 Nov 10

Yes, that model does have an AV output.

I have just looked at the manual on-line, and there are 3 phono plug sockets on the side of the camera, under a cover, (1 for video, and 2 for audio).

If you still have the manual, the details are on page 29.

collinsc 14:38 28 Nov 10

ah great! thanks. not sure if he has the manual, will ask.

So the way to go is to buy a DVD recorder? (looking for cheapest) what software can anyone recommend? will windows movie maker suffice?

thanks

eedcam 16:23 28 Nov 10

WMM yes if you have the latest version and windows 7 not sure about vista .Or depening on what you want to do Ie jus cu and shunt the DVD shrinkis free and though abit clumsy till you use it (compared to bought ones) is fine and will het your dvd onto the pc no prob.
click here

Ian in Northampton 16:38 28 Nov 10

I'm not 100% sure - others will know better - but you may need to be careful here. The great thing about DVD recorders is that they create a DVD that you can just pop into your DVD player, and away you go. However, the DVD is not now in the best format for editing, and may need to be converted to another format. For example, when I did all my stuff, I captured it in .avi format, edited in Adobe Premiere, then burnt it to a DVD. It could be I'm out of date and that there are video editors that can easily handle DVD format - so it's just something to perhaps look out for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…