Conversation with NTL re Ad-aware updates.

obbit 12:27 14 Feb 05

I had a call today from NTL regarding my letter about delays updating Ad-aware and Spybot using NTL BB. The conclusion is that the updates are via port 80 and through a transparent proxy server. If I remember correctly. Also the NTL network is cached on this port and as such can't be changed. I hope I've got that right. He said this is not a good idea to use port 80 for this.

The senior technician I spoke to uses Ad-aware and Spybot but wasn't aware of this delay we have because he doesn't check to often for updates.

It seems like it's a problem with Lavasoft using port 80 combined with NTL's network. He did mention something about the number of hits it would take to refresh the cache.

I shall continue to use a dial-up connection to retrieve updates as soon as they are issued until either Lavasoft changes or NTL does.

I hope I have explained it correctly, I had a rough night.

Alan H E 12:34 14 Feb 05

Thanks for your efforts - hope you recover soon.

john-232317 13:10 14 Feb 05

Telefonica in Spain must have the same problem, cos i get mine a few days late also ;-))

Clint2 15:13 14 Feb 05

I am an NTL user, thank you for the explanation.

obbit 17:36 14 Feb 05

bump

Wak 19:45 14 Feb 05

I have NTL Broadband and don't have any problems regarding Adaware but I have noticed that you now have to go to the Lavasoft site, download the zip file of new definitions, unzip it and then replace the existing file by drag and drop.
At one time it used to automatically download the update files.

obbit 21:11 14 Feb 05

Yes you may well have the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5