Control Panel - Vista

Ade_1 18:17 17 Jun 06

Hi, Control Panel was inadvertently changed to classic view, and i seem unable to change it back to the normal Vista view as there are no options to do that in Control Panel. I used the 'help' facility but it was telling me
'To switch back to category view, click Control Panel Home.'
But i see no Control Panel home button or wording.

Your advice would be appriciated

Thanks in advance

Aidan

mattyc_92 18:34 17 Jun 06

On the left-hand side, there is a option to change back to the "category view" (I am not logged in Vista at the moment, so I can't tell you the exact wording)

mgmcc 18:50 17 Jun 06

At the very top of the blue section on the left, directly above "Classic View". It is a link that toggles to Control Panel Home - screenshot click here

Ade_1 19:19 17 Jun 06

Yes, i was looking for that blue bar at the side however it is not there for me, as you can see by the screenshot - click here

alan227 23:02 17 Jun 06

I have just been messing around and next to the white arrow in the blue circle is another one that looks like an upside down triangle, if you click on that it will give you the choice to change back.

Ade_1 10:28 18 Jun 06

I looked at what you said but it didnt seem to make a difference, that is if i was doing it correctly.

Maybe i should just leave it in classic view as it doesnt, at the moment, seem possible to return it to the new view...

Thanks for everyones help so far :)

mgmcc 13:20 18 Jun 06

I had Control Panel set to Classic View, as per my earlier screenshot. I toggled it to "Category View" and then back again to "Classic View". Like you, I've now lost the blue panel at the left and can find no way to change between views. Very strange because I was able to switch between the two.

mgmcc 13:33 18 Jun 06

I got back into "Category View" by going into Vista's registry and deleting "RecentView" in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel

However, if I toggle it from Category to Classic, I again lose the left blue pane.

mattyc_92 13:35 18 Jun 06

From the "Control Panel" open up the "Folder Options"
Now close the control panel, leaving the "Folder Options" dialog open.

Click the "View" tab and click the "Reset Folders" and click "OK"

Provided you have closed the Control Panel before doing this, it *should* reset it to the default appearence (aka the panel on the left and the Vista Style Control Panel)

Ade_1 14:37 18 Jun 06

Mgmcc, unfortunately it did not seem to work... and i dont understand why.

and Mattyc_92, it wont let me close control panel if i have opened folder options whilst in control panel...

I dont understand why it just wont reappear.

mattyc_92 14:54 18 Jun 06

Ade_1, are you opening Folder Options from the "Tools" option? If so, that is your problem...

Open it from the option in the Control Panel itself

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…