Control Panel Icons missing.

m800afc 14:14 20 Sep 08

Win XP pro: SP3
The majority of icons on the control panel (classic view) have disappeared. I have tried a system restore, but this has had no effect. I can still use category view, but prefer not to. How can I get my icons back?

mgmcc 14:40 20 Sep 08

TweakUI, one of the PowerToys from Microsoft's website, has an option to Repair Icons. Give that a try click here

chub_tor 15:04 20 Sep 08

Run System File Checker click here

BurrWalnut 15:11 20 Sep 08

1. If some items are missing, click Start > Run, type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don’tload and delete items in the right pane that you want to see in Control Panel.

2. If you have a huge blank space in Control Panel, it is usually due to the DisplayIcon registry value for an item having a negative number. Click Start > Run, type regedit, press Enter and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. Scroll down the sub-keys in the left pane and look at the corresponding value of DisplayIcon in the right pane. If the end of any of the lines has a negative number, say -1, right-click and Modify it to 1 (one).

m800afc 21:05 20 Sep 08

Thank you for the replies. Tweak UI did nothing.
sfc /scannow took some fiddling with I386 folder but did not report any faults, and did not fix the problem. Lastly, non of the values were -1, so I did not change anything. Needless to say I restarted each time I changed anything, but all to no avail.
So, what do I do next?

m800afc 00:54 21 Sep 08

Well, as nothing else seemed to work, I did a system restore from about a week ago. This did the trick and all is well.
Wishy I knew what caused it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos