Control Panel on Desktop

PO79 18:16 30 Aug 09

I like to have an icon on the desktop to access Control Panel. For some reason it has stopped working, giving an error message to the effect that "this file does not have a program associated with it for this action, please create an association in the File Folder control panel"

I have tried going to Desktop\Customization to re-install the icon to the desktop, but it is missing. I have tried using TweakUI to rebuild Icons, to no effect. I have tried dragging a shortcut from the Start Menu but get the same message. I have tried creating a shortcut from My Computer, with the same error message. Short of a repair install does anyone have any ideas. I can start the applet fine from Start\Control Panel, but as stated I like the option to run Control Panel from the desktop.

rdave13 18:22 30 Aug 09

Can you not drag and drop the icon from start list on to your desktop?

bremner 18:27 30 Aug 09

Or create a new shortcut to C:/Windows/System32/Control.exe

Sea Urchin 18:47 30 Aug 09

Try this - open Control Panel from Start - at the far left of the title bar (to the left of Control Panel) there is a small icon - drag this with a left-click onto the desktop and release. This will produce a shortcut that hopefully will work for you.

PO79 18:49 30 Aug 09

rdave13....Tried that, same resulting error message.

bremner..thank you, that worked a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5