Control cpu fan speed

Luca M 00:20 08 Jul 07

I recently changed my motherboard to an Asrock P4VM890 and ever since, my cpu cooler has been running at 100% and so is very noisy. On the old motherboard that I had {the HP one that came with the machine} it used to only speed up when the processor was under heavy load or I could control the speed with speedfan, but this no longer seems to work. Does any one have any ideas as to what I have to do?

Thanks

crosstrainer 07:36 08 Jul 07

Control the point at which the fan(s) speed up by entering your BIOS. This is usually done by pressing the "DEL" key (or sometimes F2) on boot-up.

Look through the available options until you find the one which denotes the temperature settings for your CPU. I have mine set to speed up the fans when the CPU reaches 50 degrees, but this will depend on your particular setup.

Stuartli 10:32 08 Jul 07

In the case of my AMI Bios settings this feature is to shut down the CPU if it reaches a certain temperature.

My CPU has a Gigabyte cooler which automatically adjusts fan speed, but can be manually altered if preferred.

skidzy 10:38 08 Jul 07

Sorry if im stating the obvious here,you did apply the thermal grease/compound didnt you ?

Your manual click here

Check the bios as mentioned by Crosstrainer,Asrock boards are easily overclocked but do carry the usual warnings...check the settings have not been altered.

Luca M 10:50 08 Jul 07

Thanks for all of the above replies, but going into the BIOS has not allowed me to change the fan speeds. And yes, I did apply the thermal compound to the cpu.

crosstrainer 11:11 08 Jul 07

You are looking to change, sometimes this is done by temperature. I am certain that it's in your BIOS...AMD have a feature known as "Cool and quiet" which needs to be enabled and set to a sensible temp.

Luca M 11:13 08 Jul 07

I have been into the BIOS and it does show the temperature and the fan speeds but it does not allow me to change any of them, such as a shutdown temperature or when to speed up the fans. Its a P4 processor.

Luca M 12:07 08 Jul 07

I dont know if this helps but I know that its a Coolermaster fan and before it was automatically adjusted by the motherboard, but now its not. Would it just be easier to buy a fan controller?

I am Spartacus 12:10 08 Jul 07

A fan controller would work providing the fan has 3 rather than 4 pins.

You have set Thermal Control in the BIOS to 'Enabled'?

Luca M 12:19 08 Jul 07

Where would that option be (Thermal Control), and yes it has 3 pins.

I am Spartacus 12:24 08 Jul 07

Sorry, I misread the manual, there doesn't seem to be a Thermal Control (other than throttling) option.

A fan controller will do the job but you need to keep an eye on CPU temperature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…