control computer 1 with computer 2

donmar 11:50 04 Mar 07

Hi
I have 2 computers connected with a netgear modem router.Both are connected to the net and both are wifi enabled. I can transfer files useing easy transfer ok.
Is it possible to actually access one computer on a home network and work on/see the files etc on the other.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Don

brundle 12:01 04 Mar 07

Remote Desktop (click here), any variety of VNC (click here)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:03 04 Mar 07
  L_Driver 14:29 04 Mar 07

I think your query is about file sharing on a network rather that remotely "controlling" 1 system from another. If I am right in that assumption then you just need to ( for example ) right click a particular folder on 1 system and select Sharing from the menu. This will allow you to Map to that folder from the 2nd system. If I am right in my assumption that this is what you want to do please confirm. If more detailed instructions needed then ask.

donmar 18:16 04 Mar 07

Thank you all.
I have XP Home on this machine and Vista Home Premium on my new one. I mainly need to transfer stuff from the XP to Vista but the option in sharing and security is greyed out in the XP and will not allow me to share over the net. I don't actually know what 'map to that folder means.'
Windows easy share is on both machines but although I tick a single folder to transfer it seems to insist on trying to transfer all the settings on the old machine to the new one.

Don

dogbreath1 18:28 04 Mar 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\ provided links to various apps. which may be useful to to you.

I decided to check these out and went as far as installing MioNet on two remote machines.

Very impressive.

£15 per annum (ish) subscription if you want to use all the facilities and could be well worth it in my estimation.

MioNet is very easy to download, install and configure. Additionally, on line flash tutorials guide you through all of it's features.

So far it has impressed me very much indeed.

donmar 18:57 04 Mar 07

Thanks dogbreath1. I will certainly have a look.

L_Driver 19:51 04 Mar 07

If you mainly wish to xfer stuff back and forth then this should be straight-forward. Need to check 2 things.
1) Both machines need to have the same Workgroup name. Right click My Computer. Look at properties and then Computer Name. You can rename Workgroup so that it equates on both systems.

2)Open up your Wireless adaptor on both machines ie click the wireless icon in system tray. Open up Properties and check File sharing option.

If you look on Windows explorer under Network and Windows Network you will see the Workgroup ( as referred above ). Expand it and you will see the 2 machine names on this network.

If you do this and get the result I expect, then I can talk you through sharing and mapping to a share.

dogbreath1 22:27 04 Mar 07

MioNet gives a 30 day free trial. So try it out and if you don't like it, uninstall it and nothing lost.

donmar 11:42 05 Mar 07

Hi--back again on the old machine.

The new Vista has crashed and after many expensive calls to the supplier an engineer is coming to try to sort it on Wednesday 7th.

I am very grateful for all your help and when the new machine works ( it just crashed when I switched it on--I had not tried any of this stuff yet) I will try your suggestions and will let you know how I get on.

Don

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…