Control centre - Trojan horse?

Throbber 21:28 06 Jan 10

I think I may have some kind of nasty virus - calls itself "Control Centre" and poses as an updater.
Is this a known threat? It got past my antivirus sotware and isproving very hard to shift - seems to disable anything it doesn't like, even Task Manager. I have managed to remove it from the Add/remove programmes list in Control Panel, but it's sill active and I can't use my PC.
XP Pro SP3.
Ayone know how to shift it?

jamesd1981 21:35 06 Jan 10

you could try checking your processes for anything unusual, also try looking through your c drive - program files x86 for anything that shouldnt be there, have you tried iobit security 360 its very good at finding and removing trojans etc.

Sea Urchin 11:15 07 Jan 10

Yes, it is a known rogue program - download Malwarebytes (free version) and update and then run it - removing everything it finds. Then run it again to make sure all is clear.

click here

Throbber 21:13 07 Jan 10

Many thanks, guys. As usual with this forum - sound advice and a successful outcome. Malwarebytes seems to have fixed the problem. It also picked up over 100 bits & pieces of junk which had obviously slipped through my firewall and anti-virus programme.
Thanks again.

Sea Urchin 21:15 07 Jan 10

Thanks for the feedback - and glad to hear it's sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple