Contrast ratio spec on LCD Monitors

fullyfitted 17:09 24 Jan 08

I'm looking to replace my CRT monitor with a 19" LCD
I'm taken with the ACER AL 1916WAS which seems to meet my requirements of normal computer use (not gaming) but including digital photographs.However this model has contrast ratio of 700:1. Other similar models are rated between 850:1 to 1000:1.How significant is the difference?. I've Googled and apart from gleaning that manufactures calculate it in different ways I'm not very much wiser.

Any advice would be appreciatd

Gongoozler 17:33 24 Jan 08

Turn off the light in a room and look at a flat panel monitor or TV when there is no picture. There will still be some light from the screen because the liquid crystal even at it's darkest still can't block all the light. The darker the screen, the higher the contrast ratio. Except in a darkened room this is probably not too important.

Proclaimer 17:44 24 Jan 08

because you want to use it for photos.
Have the difference as high as you can afford. In fact the higher it is the better the monitor will display all its range of colours.

If you think 'red' then you may think it is just red, now look at 'red' inside an image editor and use the hue and saturation effects.

The better your monitor can display contrast the more chance you have of printing what you see, as in WYSIWYG.

1:1000 is great for us 'homies'

fullyfitted 20:07 24 Jan 08

Gongoozler and Proclaimer
First of all, apologies for the delay in responding,
('er in doors needed my undivided attention)

Many thanks for the advice, it looks as though it is back to the search for one with a higher ratio, may cost a bit more but as it's not something you buy everyday I may as well get it right

Thanks again

Gongoozler 07:41 25 Jan 08

Have a look at the Samsung SM226BW click here. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Gongoozler 07:45 25 Jan 08

----or if that's too big, try the SM205BW click here. This is the one I'm using, and I have been very happy with it.

John B 07:46 25 Jan 08
  fullyfitted 17:39 25 Jan 08

Gongoozler,
thanks for the suggestion but 22" is too big , worth looking at the 20" though
John B,
Coincidence , I've requested catalogue from Novatech.

I'm still bemused or confused with this contrast ratio bit. I understand the concept but on the link
John B sent there were three monitors with ratios of 2000:1 5000:1 and 700:1 respectively. That looks like a massive variation and I must be missing or mis-reading something,

Thanks for the suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant