Contol Panel - Add/Remove programmes

Mike D 15:40 25 Apr 05

I wanted to delete a programme yesterday but when I started Contol Panel - Add/Remove Programmes, it said it was populating the list and then nothing. I eventually uninstalled the programme using its own uninstaller, but the Control Panel still is of no help even after a couple of restarts and a goodish night's sleep. What can I do to get it working properly again, please?

Mike

Technotiger 15:42 25 Apr 05

Hi, if you are using XP I would suggest a System Restore.

Cheers.

Curio 15:45 25 Apr 05

would be to carry out a System File Check - assuming XP - Start, Run, Type sfc /scannow. Have your OS disc in the tray but not running when you start the Run procedure

Curio 15:46 25 Apr 05

As per Technotiger

Mike D 15:51 25 Apr 05

Thanks guys, I'll give a go when I'm back from the salt mines.

Mike

Mike D 09:02 26 Apr 05

Tried the sfc route - no joy. I will give the system Restore a go, but the problem there is that I am not sure when Control Panel stopped working - I noticed the fault at the wekend, but it has been weeks since I uninstalled a programme using the feature.

I will experiemnt with this when I have the time and, in the meantime, I will mark this thread as resolved for the sake of tidiness.

Thanks anyway

Mike

Mike D 08:45 27 Apr 05

Just to close the circle. I now have the problem solved - I have a disk image and I copied appwiz.cpl from the image back to Windows/system32 and blow me down, it worked! (I did do a rename on the file to be replaced so that I could revert again if necessary, but so far so good)

Thanks again
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…