Continuous system crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les50 22:44 20 Jun 03

my computer has become very unstable, it keeps crashing for no apparent reason.i have change both sticks of ram. keyboard,mouse,monitor and hard drive and grahics card and removed modem.
it will not run the packard bell restore setup.
i have formatted the hardrive for a clean reinstallation of windows but cant get past 12% of set up.i have tried Me, win98 & xp all crash the same in the early set up.
it is a packard bell pulsar 500 with a 450 pIII processor. system mainboard is a ms6168 i have loads more info if you want it
cheers
les

Forum Editor 23:10 20 Jun 03

you have checked to see that the fans are running OK?

When you formatted the drive did Scandisk report any bad clusters?

How old is the drive, and is it partitioned?

woodchip 23:20 20 Jun 03

You must be working overtime You just pinshed my thoughts. I could not Copy write them

Les50 23:20 20 Jun 03

fans are running.
no bad clusters
18 months old 30 mgb
no partitions
keep the question coming
cheers

Les50 23:29 20 Jun 03

when i changed the hard drive to see if it would boot with an operating system, it booted ok to the point of the windows ME screen then stopped and stated in safe mode in numerous attempe i got the following messages
statemgr has caused an error in msvcrt.dll statemgr will now close
and
windows error 06 DD00 00000000
but this may be because of changing the hard drive.
i tried another hardrive with win 96 second edition but could not get passed safe mode then crashed again
Do you think the motherboard is shot?

woodchip 23:37 20 Jun 03

Still look's like heat to me, take the side of your comp and see how it goes. Also look click here down the page on the left

woodchip 23:43 20 Jun 03

PS you cannot just put another drive in from another comp it's setup different also drivers and hardware. What you have to do is get your own working

Les50 23:50 20 Jun 03

i have had both sides off all the time and outside in the garage which is fairly cool anyway.
you mentioned fans the processor fans going and the case fan is there any more?
If it was heat how could i improve things?
What about the dvdrom on setup it going like the clappers could it be This?
Keep it going now you will solve it i am sure

woodchip 23:52 20 Jun 03

There is the PSU fan at the back, you should feel warm air coming out

Les50 23:53 20 Jun 03

i checked that page of errors i think those error messages where because i switched hardrives and that caused other problems.

woodchip 23:56 20 Jun 03

Also try this get a boot disc from click here start with it and at A:\ type FDISK/MBR so it can restore the boot record just in case there is something wrong there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…