Continuous Beep from PC

irnblu 19:54 18 Aug 03

Had new PC for a week, MaxData Athlon1800 XP, installed an anti- virus, couple of games and an old hard drive to get some files, I've since disconnected this in case it was the problem, when on Sunday I switched on and I get this constant tone from the tower. Someone told me to go into BIOS and choose optimum settings but this hasn't cured it.I have used system restore to jump back a couple of days and I've reinstalled XP but it is still there. It did stop for about an hour when my daughter was playing music on it but it was still there come start up later.

R4 20:05 18 Aug 03

Bleeping usually means that the Bios/MotherBoard has detected a problem in POST, usually memory. try setting Default settings and/or test the memory and make sure all your connections are secure.

rickf 20:06 18 Aug 03

I see that you have been inside the case. Could you have accidentally dislodged the fan connection from the cpu to the systems board. The beeps maybe 'cause the PC is warning you of the possibility of CPU overheating as the fan is not working. Worth having a look. Just a guess w/o further info from you.

.dave 20:40 18 Aug 03

Do you know what your BIOS manufacturer is?
If it is a "beep" from your BIOS it should be quite easy to diagnose

irnblu 20:52 18 Aug 03

The bios was made by Award Software International,Inc.

.dave 21:05 18 Aug 03

Award are a bit naughty.
Their official line is that they don't support any errors as System Board manufacturers customize it themselves.

After talking with a friend though he confirmed that a continuous beep is probably due to a faulty power supply

DieSse 21:43 18 Aug 03

A continuous beep is not normally anything to do with the POST- POST errors normally cause a halt during POST anyway.

It's probably either a fan fault or an over/under voltage fault. Could be the PSU itself, could be a fan, could be something on the motherboard, or a drive or card dragging a voltage down.

DieSse 21:45 18 Aug 03

Should have added that a look in the BIOS at the fan speeds and voltages and temperatures may give you a clue as to what is going on.

MichelleC 08:59 19 Aug 03

Says in my little library, 1 long continuous beep can be any 1 of; 'power, power supply, loose card or short.

alcudia 10:33 19 Aug 03

If it is only a week old why don't you return it as it is obviously faulty. Provided that you havn't invalidated any warranty by opening it up.
Particularly by installing a second old hard drive. Incidentally hard drive failure in a RAID system will cause a continuous beep, but this will not be the cause here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…