continuos restart

Have an older systemax computer that keeps restarting itself continously. What can be causing this and how do I fix it? Have been told it might be the power supply unit. Looking to get a second opinion or other advice to see if it might be something else. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:33 08 Dec 08

When do the restarts occur?
Before windows loads?
Immediately on boot?

A little more detail required

could be
PSU
memory
overheating

I turn on the computer and tells me to hit delete to enter bios, leave it alone and i am give options to either start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc... Whichever option I choose does the same thing. I hit enter on either option and the windows splash screen starts, then it restarts and same thing happens over and over again.

Pineman100 18:15 09 Dec 08

It sounds as though there could be a problem with your Windows installation, or with your hard drive.

Try putting your Windows CD into the drive and restarting. When the boot options screen comes up, tell it to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

Once you've booted from the CD, select the repair Windows option.

If it fails to repair windows, or gives you some error report(s), you may have a hard drive problem.

Pineman100 18:17 09 Dec 08

I should perhaps have emphasised that you want to to REPAIR Windows - NOT reinstall. If you reinstall, you'll lose all your data.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 09 Dec 08

Yes this is corrupt windows files prevent the operating system booting properly, unless your hard drive is damaged a repair install will sort the problem.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5