Continual 'System Alert!' messages spyware issue

Damo1977 21:50 01 Oct 07

Can someone please try and help me sort out the current problem which is driving me crazy and seriously disrupting my laptop.

My girlfriends sister used my laptop recently and since I have been getting all sorts of strange 'System Alert!' messages and warnings of active spyware keep popping up on screen every few minutes.

The system alert pops up in a bubble down by the clock in the bottom right of the screen from a shield icon like the windows security symbol, but it flashes from a red cross shield to a blue question mark shield.
The message reads:

"System has detected a number of spyware applications that may impact the performance of your computer. Click the icon to get rid of unwanted spyware by downloading an up to date antispyware solution."

If I click the icon it opens up another Internet Explorer window at the website click here offering an anti spyware product!

At the same time this started happening a new toolbar has appeared at the top of my Internet Explorer 7 window called 'Security Toolbar 7.1' with a security level indicator with a red line on it showing 4/10. There are also 2 buttons of the toolbar, 'Block adware/popups' and 'Remove spyware'. When I try remove toolbar by right clicking on it and to bring up list of toolbars, it appears to be called 'Protection Bar' but it won't let me remove it as the tick doesnt uncheck!

Then when you try and navigate away to another web page, a 'Windows Internet Explorer' message box appears saying:

Warning!
[email protected] is a virus that infects files with .exe extensions. It attempts to steal passwords & private information from the infected computer.

It then gives a lot of info about the virus with a recommendation to click the 'ok' button to download officially approved security software.
Clicking ok just takes me back to yet another security/antivirus download offer!

If I on the other hand click the 'cancel' button, I am taken to a page called 'Internet Security Centre', telling me "your system is currently vulnerable to computer attacks. Remote intruders can gain access to following files & folders on your PC:
-\windows\system32
-\program files\internet explorer
-\my documents
-Drive C:\Files

With once again a load of options for 'Virus Heal' and 'Antispyware' etc.

finally when I shut down my laptop It throws up one last message titled:

'iesmn.exe - DLL Initialization Failed'
The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

And this process just keeps on happening everytime I switch my laptop on and has been happening now for a few weeks.

I have McAfee Antivirus/Security Centre on my laptop and the year subcription to updates only began in September so I am fully protected against viruses etc.

I work from home and use my laptop for my job so it is very important that it is running smoothly and so this is especially frustrating for me.

I have been to the 'Add/Remove Programs' facility in the Control Panel but cannot find anything unusual there.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Damian

VoG II 21:53 01 Oct 07
  Ashrich 23:05 01 Oct 07

Well , you can go through a huge page of instructions , or you can download a trial of Spyware Doctor , it will only cost you anything ( and with the dollar so low , it won't be too much ) if it finds the cause ( and it usually does ) run it and see what happens . I had to deal woth something similar to this ( [email protected] ) and the afore mentioned program wiped it out , together with 63 other nasties , in a flash . We then put it on a flash drive and did every PC on the network and wiped a load more stuff off , sometimes it is easier to pay a little for 12 months of peace and quiet . click here

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…