Continual reminders to upgrade from MS

BBW 17:16 03 Dec 07

Since a recent repair, I now get continual reminders to upgrade,from MS. When I do, I am informed the upgrade is not required. I know this as I have seen the files on my computer. Can I remove this reminder shield on the taskbar?

anskyber 17:18 03 Dec 07

Upgrade what, the operating system, or is it updates? Which OS are you using?

BBW 17:34 03 Dec 07

Sorry about that, Yes it's the updates reminder shield on the taskbar, which is now permanent. I'm running WIN XP Pro.

anskyber 17:38 03 Dec 07

Have you used the windows update to download all the critical updates to bring the machine to where it was before your repair? The simplist thing to do is click on the shield and allow the updates, it will then go away.

Sheik Yerbouti 17:45 03 Dec 07

Select 'Security Center' from Control Panel,

Under 'Resources' on the left, click, 'change the way Security Center alerts me'.

Take the 3 ticks from the boxes.

Better still, If you are a competent PC user, In Control Panel - Administrative tools - Services...Disable Security Center, and Manually update your AV & Firewall on a daily Basis (They should be on Auto update from within their own programs)...and Windows Update every week or two. (2nd Tuesday of each month is MS patch day)

BBW 18:41 03 Dec 07

anskyber, yes, i Have updated 3 times!
Sheik Yerbouti, I would rather the update be automatic, at least inform me when it's required, not as now every day,

BBW 10:43 07 Dec 07

Stupid me, I should have followeed my own posting, Dated 20Nov07 i.e. MS Article ID: 312295 Rev.5.6 fault resolved. Why it happened again is another problem.

johnnyrocker 10:49 07 Dec 07

the dangers of multi posting.

johnny,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced