Continual rebooting after XP SP3 install

slimepit 21:43 14 Apr 08

I followed the instructions on page 150 (June 2008) and successfully installed SP3 on my daughters computer. It now goes as far as as showing the windows XP screen and the little suares travel across the panel a few times then all stops and the screen display the "no signal message" and reboots. The same happens in SAFE mode. I set the pc to boot from cd and down loaded an emergency xpboot disc on my vista pc but it just ignores this and goes to the HD and the reboots carry on. My daughter has not got any MS XP disks so I can't use them. I set a restore point but can't ge near it. Please help.

MCE2K5 21:46 14 Apr 08
  anskyber 21:56 14 Apr 08
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:20 14 Apr 08

Set BIOS to boot CD as first boot device
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R"

Windows will load the Recovery console and may ask you for an Admin password if you do not have a password just press enter.

At the C:\windows prompt type in the command

Copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll

When the file is copied type in

exit

remove the CD and reboot the PC

Windows should now load.

slimepit 22:34 14 Apr 08

Thanks for advice but can anyone tell me where to download a working bootable xp cd. I have tried a couple but the pc does not recognise them and is telling me to insert a disk and press enter. Ant answers gratefully received but will not be acted on until tomorrow. Thanks in anticipation.

slimepit 11:52 15 Apr 08

I have now googled for XP system disks and downloaded some from 6 different websites. I have even downloaded a disk which is supposed to put the PC straight into repair mode but the PC still just says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER> Any advice please, I really don't know what else to do?

slimepit 16:36 16 Apr 08

I could not get the PC to boot from more than 6 boot disks so took the HD out, took it to my son's and connected the drive as a slave to his PC just leaning against the side of the box and then moved the gdi32.dll file as Fruit Bat kindly told above. All is well now, Thanks Fruit Bat, you've made a severely disabled girl smile from ear to ear. Many, many, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5