ContigFileAllocSize

David-263051 13:34 01 Jan 03
  David-263051 13:34 01 Jan 03

Undocumented. Does anyone have any real evidence that an entry in HKLM/System/CurrentControlet/Control/FileSystem actually does anything. The Web is awash with suggesting this entry but I cannot find anyone who has proved it actually works.

Andÿ 13:48 01 Jan 03

Yes it does!

For example:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation Or HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsAllowExtendedCharacterIn8dot3Name Enables or disables the use of 8.3 character-length file names.

And :

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate is designed to reduce the logging impact of updating the last access timestamp on folders and directories and can speed up NTFS.

spikeychris 13:54 01 Jan 03

Agree with your above comments but creating a D word "ContigFileAllocSize" is a different issue.

Chris

David-263051 13:55 01 Jan 03

Hi Andy
Apologies - I meant Win98SE specifically. There are a few entries in FileSystem, NameCache & PathCache to mention just two, but I'm interested in the undocumented ContigFileAllocSize.

spikeychris 14:04 01 Jan 03

Give it a whirl if you want guaranteed space far big applications

Andÿ 14:05 01 Jan 03

:o)

I just ignored (Doh!) the title and answered "Does anyone have any real evidence that an entry in HKLM/System/CurrentControlet/Control/FileSystem actually does anything."

LOL

spikeychris 14:10 01 Jan 03

I must do that 5 times a day ;o)

David-263051 14:17 01 Jan 03

Hi spikeychris

I've had Win8SE for 3 years and have recently added a 256 stick to the existing 128 and am systematically going thru' system.ini to see what values I can relax to take advantage.

On the Web 99% of advice suggests a CFAS of 512Kb. This is the default anyway.

What I've done is to defrag my data partition then saved a variety of sizes, shift deleted to see what happened. I then repeated the sequence of events with a variety of CFAS values ranging from no entry to 2Mb spanning the various deletions/savings all of which produced the same result. In other words I cannot prove the system is actually reading the CFAS entry.

There a few system.ini entries which are no longer applicable. I saw one comment the other day re Win98 on an entry that ceased to have any significance since Win3.1.

As mentioned CFAS cannot be found @ MSKB.

spikeychris 14:25 01 Jan 03

512 is the default size do you have a link to the insignificance since 3.1?

spikeychris 14:31 01 Jan 03

Never used this but click here and see what you think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5