Contents in Browsers

Nikita Shah 09:32 AM 17 May 11

Hey, I hav created a website using Php, But wen i open it in Internet explorer some of the CSS part doesn't appear& and wen i open it in Mozilla Firefox, it same as what i have designed...

Can anyone let me know why is this so?

Nikita Shah 05:44 AM 18 May 11

Nopes this site is not live yet. But it may be by June end!

Nikita Shah 05:45 AM 18 May 11

But if IE does it by default wen it is not a Live site. But if it is Live are their contents displayed properly??

Nikita Shah 06:24 AM 19 May 11

Okay fine. The other thing, I have used a property in CSS called as rounded corners. So the same thing happens ; wen i open it in Mozilla the rounded corners appear properly.

And when i open it in IE it appears in square form only.

So i want to ask that is rounded corner property enabled for all browsers or only for Mozilla. I have mentioned in my CSS this way.

background:#FF6699; width:900px; height:400px; border-radius:10px; }

This code is working properly for Mozilla, not for IE and Opera.

Please suggest something!

Nikita Shah 10:58 AM 20 May 11

Ya Hopefully!!!

adam32 18:52 PM 23 May 11

Vendor prefixes, Nikita.

They are used by browser developers to implement CSS3 properties in development builds before they are confident of meeting the CSS3 spec and/or achieving a reliable bug-free render.

Gradually, each vendor introduces support for the spec property (sans prefix) and, later, eventually removes support for the vendor prefix. This is a gradual process and varies between vendors and rendering engines.

But to implement CSS3 properties reliably, efficiently (only the necessary code), and with maximum compatibility is very easy. If, at any time, you cant recall which browsers and engines support each CSS3 property, use prefixes, or have no support, just check out That always shows the status quo.

Don't sweat the absence of some style elements in some browsers: that's part of graceful degradation, or "do what we can to support the IE community while doing what we really want for everyone else..." Just make 100% certain that no part of your CSS fails in a way that hurts usability, legibility, or accessibility. OK?

(I am amazed, though, that no-one else at this forum has told you this already.)

Ansolan 21:29 PM 23 May 11

For local development, you might try adding this tag directly below the doctype:

(with proper comment tags, not possible here)

Not a cure for everything but can help.

On the other issues, as helpfully mentioned, not all browsers treat many things the same. There are ways round most situations e.g. for rounded corners: or

Or just settle for graceful degradation and the reality of browsers.

Ansolan 21:30 PM 23 May 11

Even without tags the code disappeared, just search for Mark of the Web on Google.

Forum Editor 00:25 AM 24 May 11

Or just settle for graceful degradation and the reality of browsers.

I might add that to ensure graceful degradation you should be careful with your use of client-side programming such as Javascript, Java, and Shockwave Flash. If you are set on using these, make sure you provide an alternative.

As for Mark Of The Web (MOTW) mentioned by Ansolan take a look at this

Nikita Shah 07:48 AM 25 May 11

hey Ansolan thanx for the stuff!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know