Contaminated IE 6

onokeck 17:36 03 Jun 04

I have been hit with a trojan horse today! I have an anti virus (AVG) fully updated as well as a firewall (zone labs). Okay, they picked it up, but I had a long process getting the corrupted files healed and when I did and restarted my PC things were o.k. The virus came via IE6. I use AOL and to get into some web sites (on line banking, etc) I have to minimize AOL and open IE from my desktop. I've never had a problem. But today the virus struck. It is "Infamous Downloader" and comes in with an exe file, and copies of "revop.A" and "small.4BQ2 and about 10 other cys. It placed icons (4) on my desktop. I thought I was o.k. Sure enough when I opened IE again the same thing happened! I have been thru the process again and installed a new IE6 from MS web site. It did the same. I now am again clean, but have no ability to us IE. I'm not familiar with viruses, but does anyone have an idea as to how I can get this solved? I cannot find any contact for MS tech support, AOL can't help and AVG says go to MS. Perhaps someone has experienced this and knows the answer. Operating system is WinMe. Thanks, Casey

johnsims 17:56 03 Jun 04

Have you tried running spybot search & destry. It has a pretty successful record at removing all the bits of various downloaders. click here

johnsims 17:57 03 Jun 04

oops! spelling. Should have been "destroy"

GaT7 17:59 03 Jun 04

D'load, install, UPDATE & then run scans with Adaware click here, Spybot-S&D click here & CWShredder click here. If you cannot do this with your PC (as you've lost the use of IE), get it by using a friend's PC & burn these programs on a CD. Also get SpywareBlaster click here which blocks most nasties in the first place as you surf. Keep all updated regularly. Good luck, G

GaT7 18:03 03 Jun 04

There you go - beaten to it by johnsims : )

When you have the use of IE again I recommend running online virus scans at BOTH these sites - click here & click here. They sometimes find stuff that AVG misses. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…