Constant Writing to H/D

babybell 15:16 03 Jan 05

Im still having problems with the girlfriends PC so i sat down to do a complete tidy up, i started with running a full scan disk. When i came back to the PC a message was on the screen saying that Scandisk had restarted 10 times because windows or a programe is constantly writing to the harddrive. I have no open programms and scandisk was the only thing i was aware that was running? What could be causing this?

stalion 15:19 03 Jan 05

go to run and type msconfig to see what you have running on startup and untick anything you do not need.Make sure you leave systray and explorer running.Also try scandisk in safe mode

babybell 15:27 03 Jan 05

There is lots of stuff in that startup section, a lot of which seems rubbish or stuff i have no idea what it does, such as c:/Windows/system/tvwatch.exe and nwiz.exe/install. Anyone know what this stuff is?

woodchip 15:31 03 Jan 05

Just start computer and keep pressing F5 then run scandisk

herc182 16:25 03 Jan 05

click here

run it and it will tell you what is running on your computer and what they all do. click on consult and it will then communicate with "experts" and then it will tell you what you can close, and what is required to stay open.

starting in safe mode is the best bet though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…