constant virus attacks

allanj77 22:09 11 Mar 10

i am using norton 360 and it is constantly reporting attacks mainly by trojans and downloaders, i am suspicious that my internet connection is being hijacked, how viable is this and should i be using something else anti-virus/firewall etc please help as its driving me to consider getting rid of internet all together

Technotiger 22:32 11 Mar 10

If you have a decent anti-virus program and a couple of anti-malware programs, use common sense when browsing the web, then you should not have any problems.

I recommend, and use myself, Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Super Anti-spyware.

Plus you should have a decent Firewall also.

birdface 22:42 11 Mar 10

Download update and run the free version of this.

click here

mfletch 12:59 12 Mar 10

Have you got the location of the said Trojans/Virus's

Have you a log from Norton that you can post on here so we can have a look at it.

allanj77 15:39 12 Mar 10

if i have a log i dont know how to get it, their mostly trojan.something and theres one packed.generic i have also had a few downloaders. my isp suggested removing my router totally and then reinstalling but this is more hassle

mfletch 15:52 12 Mar 10

Is it just on certain sites you visit or does it happen on any site.

Did you download and run Malwarebytes antimalware as suggested by buteman

allanj77 23:57 12 Mar 10

yes i did download as advised and iv got to admit not as many problems however, to answer your first question its on every site, thats why im thinking about getting rid of web, i didnt mention but my kids are on this wireless network with their own computers

Technotiger 07:57 13 Mar 10

In that case, you should go through the same routine as above, on each of their computers - together with a warning to them, about how to attempt to avoid nasties! Make sure each of their computers is fully protected.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:29 13 Mar 10

There is an absolute load of rubbish talked about computers being taken over etc. Home computers are of little interest to hackers in spite of the many scare stories that seem to abound. The chances of a hacker getting access to a home computer are less than hittingthe 6 numbers on the Eurolotto 3 weeks in succession.
The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected; these queries are called 'handshakes'. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice. All these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and Web Pages to your IP, which is in effect, your mailbox or receiving station.

When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no surprise as they own most of the routers/servers etc. and in many cases you AV is 'bigging up' these alerts.

Turn off the alerts, keep Norton up to date (in fact dump it and get the free Microsoft Essentials), Keep Malawarebytes up to date and run it in quick scan once a month. Norton really can be a fussy pig and there is no logic reason for any home user to pay for protection.

G+

Boghound 10:48 13 Mar 10

@Gandalf

What are you smoking and where can I get some from?

mfletch 10:58 13 Mar 10

Please go to

Open IE click on Tools>Internet options

Click on the connections tab

Click on the LAN {at the bottom}

If use proxy server is ticked UNTICK it

Click apply

Restart IE

Has that helped??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5