Constant reboot on startup

Mev 13:14 23 Jan 07

Hi, i have a problem with my PC and hope somebody can help. Last night my PC crashed for no apparent reason and attempted to reboot itself. At the time i was connected to the internet and had a browser screen open but i wasn't looking at the PC. I noticed the noise of the hard disk and turned to look at the screen to see it was rebooting itself. However, the PC was not able to load windows. It went through the POST screen but as soon as the loading windows logo appeared it rebooted itself again and continued to loop like this. Now when i switch the PC on it gets stuck in this loop. I run Windows XP sp2 and have Sygate firewall configured as well as a hardware firewall on my router and antivirus software running (AVG). Can anyone offer any advice as to how i can resolve this? I have tried loading Windows in safe mode etc but it still crashes at the same point.

Thanks in adviance to anyone that can offer any advice.

VoG II 13:19 23 Jan 07
  Mev 14:03 23 Jan 07

Hi VoG,

Thanks for the link. I followed the advice on the Microsoft website but didn't get very far. I loaded the recovery console and typed the following as advised:

C:\>cd system32

but got an error - 'The path or file specified is not valid.'

Any ideas?

VoG II 14:14 23 Jan 07

Try

cd windows\system32

Mev 14:20 23 Jan 07

Thanks again VoG for a quick reply.

Tried that, got a different error - 'Access is denied'.

The instructions from Microsoft did mention entering my admin password when prompted but i never received that prompt whe startng the recovery console.

Mev 14:33 23 Jan 07

Hi VoG,

Managed to force the password prompt by using the 'LOGON' command in recovery console. Was then able to follow the instructions from Microsoft. Windows is now loading, it is just checking the disk which, for a change, i am happy to let it do. Hopfully it will boot fully now. Looks as though my problem is resolved.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!!!

Mev 14:36 23 Jan 07

Just also wanted to say - thank goodness for free resources like this. VoG; PC Advisor; you rule!! I will continue to purchase the magazine as always!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5