constant hard drive activity

maybe someone could help me...have only just started to notice this really but when my computer is on the hard drive activity light flickers on about twice a second no matter how long the computer has been on for and am sure that it is affecting gameplay...have asked in other forums but people seem to think that i need more ram..

i currently have 512 mb ddr ram

have checked task manager but it says that nothing is running

any help or comments would be very much appreciated as i dont know where to look to find out whats causing the hard drive to do this.

many thanks all

3rdday 15:47 23 Apr 04

You don't have something like Norton Goback installed, do you?

I did, but decided to get rid of it afetr a while because of the constant disk activity.

i have norton antivirus 2004 and norton systemworks installed....could this be the problem??????

any ideas anyone

whatchamacallit 00:13 24 Apr 04

I think 3rdday could be right, I too have installed GO-Back on one of my PC`S and my led hard light flickers like yours.

Norton`s web site may be the best place to look first. I think GO-Back was took over by Norton`s.

So they may not have the answers we want.

Derek 09:00 24 Apr 04

No doubt about it, if you have GoBack installed then the activity light will flicker constantly.
Norton will tell you that this is not a problem but a normal activity of GoBack since it is making a copy constantly of your entire hard drive.
We all know that this is annoying and apparently, it will not effect the running or speed of your PC.
Stick a stamp over the light !! I jest because you can usually hear the hard drive being addressed.
We advise removing GoBack and rely upon System Restore for the backup services.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…